Thread: DeWalt folding work bench.

DeWalt folding work bench.

Any thoughts on the DeWalt folding work bench?

My workshop and workbench is located away from the house and like something in the car garage for household type stuff. Working on weed trimmers , portable generators, saw a board in half. First thought was just a folding card table but weight is an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076S565G9...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I've had one for a few years and find it very handy. It takes up little room and is light enough to easily carry where needed. The mechanism for unfolding and folding the legs works great. It certainly is sturdier than a typical card table, and it can hold a fair amount of weight, but it's not rigid or heavy enough for things like hand planing boards that apply sideways force to it. The holes and slots in it make it easy to clamp stuff to it. Of course it's smaller than a card table, but for the uses you describe, I think you'd be happy with it. I find it particularly useful for holding tools and supplies for remodeling projects around the house, instead of piling everything on the floor.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I have had one for a little over two years. My thoughts echo what Paul said. Folds up thin to tuck away and opens with the push of a button and a pull on the handle. Mine gets used mostly when my project is spread all over my workbench and I need a little more table top space. I open up the Dewalt and put it right behind me while I am at the main bench.

You can often get a folding, adjustable height table from Costco, Sam's, BJ's or one of the 'borg stores for very reasonable money. We use one on our three seasons porch as a potting bench in the "high" position. That might be a good alternative to the DeWalt unit you show. I was going to get another one for the same application...in the garage...as you mention, but scored an old laboratory bench for $40 with a heavy maple top from a neighbor and raised the height.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dave

For what they are, they're fairly stout. I've had a pair for about 5-6 years. Mine came from Home Depot.
    The open/close system can get a little stiff from time to time, but a spray can of white lithium grease will take care of that.
    They're really great for times that you need an extra table surface next to the BBQ grill.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)