Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Sjobergs workbench: 1060 or 1450 ?

Which Sjobergs workbench: 1060 or 1450 ?

Hello all,

I consider myself a tinkering hobbyist. I enjoy making small improvements around the flat and have built up a basic toolkit over the years (circular saw, jigsaw, …), nothing fancy.
    Recently, I have taken a keen interest in hand tools and I am just about ready to take the plunge and invest in a proper beginner’s set of quality tools which would include a couple jack planes, block plane, chisels, saws, etc. One important component is a decent enough workbench. I’ve been looking at the models on display on the Sjobergs website and I find it difficult to tell exactly what sets one table apart from then next, apart from dimensions quite obviously. Maybe it’s just me but I find the website’s layout to be slightly confusing or lacking clarity.

For instance, they have “hobby” and “professional” lines of workbenches. As far as I can tell, there is no clear metric or rationale to objectively set these two lines apart. If somebody knows the answer to that, please feel free to chime in and kindly share your experience.
    Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, but as much as possible, I would like to be able to make an informed decision and purchase the best-suited table for me. To that effect, two models have caught my attention: the Nordic 1450 (hobby line) and the Multi Function 1060 bench (professional line). It might be from lack of experience/knowledge, but I would be inclined to say there seems to be no easily identifiable set of characteristics (i.e. differences in quality build) to rationally compare these two tables. I have a slight preference for the 1060 due to its overall slightly smaller dimensions which better suit my workspace. But I cannot exactly tell what sets the 1060 and the 1450 apart.

In general, on the official website, the 1450 has more descriptive content and pictures than the 1060. A particular concern is the vise system. It is fairly obvious from the richer description and pictures that accompany the 1450 that it is equipped with the metal rod vises. Whether the 1060 also comes with the metal rod vises is unclear because I couldn’t find any information in the minimalist technical brochure and there is no shot of the inside of the vises on the website… So, I would really like to clarify this point. Maybe the Sjobergs benches all have the same vise system, but as a beginner I don't know that for sure, and I’d like to be absolutely certain before purchasing.

I hope there is some redeeming logic to my rambling, anyway thanks for reading 😊
    Cheers.

Hello, and welcome to the slippery slope;

A few differences on quick review:

1. Yes, the 1060 is shorter in length by about 16", and does not come with the lower shelf as standard.
    > And yet, even with much less wood, it weighs 3 pounds more [although the taller 1060 legs might account for some extra]
    > This is because the 1450 is birch, and the 1060 is beech. Beech weighs more, and is much harder on the janka scale
    > Janka measure density, in terms of ability to withstand a whack and not dent. I think the beech is a much better choice. Birch is too soft.

2. Also - the 1060 has a "Multi-Function Table" [MFT] surface. In English, that means the entire surface is covered with holes to accept various clamping fixtures.
    > See Festool for the origin of the MFT. There are many "Festoolies" here who can advise on this.

3. And - the face plates of the vices look more robust on the 1060. Also - both use the metal rods you asked about.

Edit: Greg - where are you located?
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 05-12-2023 at 10:19 AM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Hi Kent,

I hear you loud and clear. It's pretty clear from your answer which has the better build quality, thanks. I should have thought about the type of wood and the mass/density...it makes sense after the fact!

Why a "slippery slope" ?

To answer your question, I am currently based in the EU.

On a side note - I'm not sure whether this warrants a separate topic so I'll give it a shot here - I'm thinking about what my first project will be, once I get all the equipment and everything is properly set up. I already have a dozen ideas of things I would like to build. These are what I consider "realistic" projects (stands, boxes, etc...), so no Antique Roman-style bed frames just yet! nothing too flashy. For me personally, out of my current list, my preference goes to making a couple wooden handles for my straight razors. I don't know though if that's an "acceptable" challenge as a beginner.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Pezpollo View Post
    Hi Kent,

I should have thought about...it makes sense after the fact!

Why a "slippery slope" ?
    These two phrases are interrelated. You get a workbench, so you need a couple hand tools. As you get deep into your project, it "makes sense after the fact" that what you REALLY need is that one other tool. So you get it. In fact, to minimize shipping cost per tool, you might as well get two............. Then is the 2d project.

THAT is the slippery slope, and you just took your first step onto it. As did everyone else here.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Benches like you ask about certainly can fill a need "quickly". Just keep in mind that they are basically someone else's idea about what your workbench should be like and many hand tool users (as well as the rest of us) have specific things that we want in a bench that we intend to use as the "focus bench" in our woodworking activities. I will admit that my first bench actually was a Sjobergs bench. The benchtop was fine and very functional, at least at the time. The base was way too lightweight, but that could simply be that again, "at the time", it was what was available to me and it certainly wasn't one of the big, heavyweight products.

So in a roundabout way, I just might be suggesting that you consider designing and building your own bench to your own specifications as your actual "first project". You can use almost any kind of temporary work surface to do that work and in the end, you get something that not only fits your own personal needs, but also builds a lot of skills. Yea, you might use a few power tools in the process for some things that can be true drudgery for hand tool work, especially if you're not already highly skilled and patient, but it's still worthy of consideration. If you do decide to buy, pick the heaviest version you can afford and that must include the base. Hand tool work puts a "yuge" amount of lateral stress on a workbench because of how you move the tools in many operations, so sturdy and not-prone to racking and wiggling is truly important.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Any bench is better then no bench.
    Most of us started with 2x4 and plywood or kitchen table. Whatever you choose you don’t have to keep it. Always something better. My pics with me smiling is a Mdf bench with a granite surface plate. At the time it was all the rage for me.
    Good Luck
    Aj

My first workbench, and present one still, is a Sjobergs Elite 2000 with the cabinets. While I've built another one, my Sjobergs gets used all the time. I think it's very good quality. One massive disadvantage is that it has 1" dog holes. The vast majority of accessories are for 3/4" dog holes, so that is still a pain for me years later. The 1060 has 3/4" dog holes, so no issue there. The 1400 doesn't say on their websites, but looking at the top, that's also probably 3/4", so no issue there, but I'd check.

I think there is a lot to be said for having storage/cabinets underneath, if for no other reason than to add mass/stability to the bench. And that mass really does matter.

As to your second question, your first project could be to build a cabinet to attach to your bench. You'll learn many skills, and make your workbench even more useful.

My process (and one shared by many others) was to have my first builds be for my workshop. Cabinetry, totes for planes, assembly table, router table, many, many others. After a while, I alternated a workshop project with something like a cutting board as a gift, furniture for the house, etc... But the skills you learn by making your early mistakes on the shop fixtures means that no one else sees them. And your skills will grow very fast.

Enjoy the hobby and the new workbench.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 05-13-2023 at 8:37 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post

I think there is a lot to be said for having storage/cabinets underneath, if for no other reason than to add mass/stability to the bench. And that mass really does matter.

My process (and one shared by many others) ......was to have my first builds be for my workshop......... your early mistakes on the shop fixtures means that no one else sees them. And your skills will grow very fast.
    Exactly correct on all points, Alan - well put. I knew I had a lot of mistakes ahead of me, and I wanted to get to them as quickly as I could.

Thank you all for the collective wisdom and recommendations.

Initially, I was considering building my own bench. I currently have a very lightweight folding work ‘surface’ which would be of very little practical use to build a respectable workbench with. A specific challenge in my situation is that I live in an appartement at the moment which means I work out of unusually tight spaces. That’s why, in the end, I figured it would be best to start with a decent store-bought workbench to get me started. When my personal situation changes, and it will, I’ll then consider expanding and building a custom bench that fits my specific needs as some pointed out – I think it’s a great idea and I will definitely consider it as soon as I have the opportunity.

In the meantime, based on the general feedback, I think I will be going for the 1060 model.

Cheers.

No shame in buying a well made bench to fit your purposes. Something like the 1060 could last a lifetime. Some folks really love to build shop furniture, jigs, French-cleat doo-dads and nick-knacks. I hate it LOL. I want to build fine furniture, picture frames and mess around on my CNC. If I can buy a quality jig/bench/cabinet for my shop, it's a no brainer. I did build my work bench TBH, but that didn't stop me from buying other well made accoutrements for the shop.

Hello all,

I consider myself a tinkering hobbyist. I enjoy making small improvements around the flat and have built up a basic toolkit over the years (circular saw, jigsaw, …), nothing fancy.
    Recently, I have taken a keen interest in hand tools and I am just about ready to take the plunge and invest in a proper beginner’s set of quality tools which would include a couple jack planes, block plane, chisels, saws, etc. One important component is a decent enough workbench. I’ve been looking at the models on display on the Sjobergs website and I find it difficult to tell exactly what sets one table apart from then next, apart from dimensions quite obviously. Maybe it’s just me but I find the website’s layout to be slightly confusing or lacking clarity.

For instance, they have “hobby” and “professional” lines of workbenches. As far as I can tell, there is no clear metric or rationale to objectively set these two lines apart. If somebody knows the answer to that, please feel free to chime in and kindly share your experience.
    Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, but as much as possible, I would like to be able to make an informed decision and purchase the best-suited table for me. To that effect, two models have caught my attention: the Nordic 1450 (hobby line) and the Multi Function 1060 bench (professional line). It might be from lack of experience/knowledge, but I would be inclined to say there seems to be no easily identifiable set of characteristics (i.e. differences in quality build) to rationally compare these two tables. I have a slight preference for the 1060 due to its overall slightly smaller dimensions which better suit my workspace. But I cannot exactly tell what sets the 1060 and the 1450 apart.

In general, on the official website, the 1450 has more descriptive content and pictures than the 1060. A particular concern is the vise system. It is fairly obvious from the richer description and pictures that accompany the 1450 that it is equipped with the metal rod vises. Whether the 1060 also comes with the metal rod vises is unclear because I couldn’t find any information in the minimalist technical brochure and there is no shot of the inside of the vises on the website… So, I would really like to clarify this point. Maybe the Sjobergs benches all have the same vise system, but as a beginner I don't know that for sure, and I’d like to be absolutely certain before purchasing.

I hope there is some redeeming logic to my rambling, anyway thanks for reading 😊
    Cheers.

I wouldn't worry too much about Sjobergs classifications. To work well with hand tools, you want a sturdy and heavy workbench that's not going to move around the floor when you're planing a board. The 1060 weighs 75 lbs (34kg), the 1450 weighs 68 lbs (31kg). For comparison the Elite 1500 weighs 220lb (100kg).

Another thing to consider is the vices on the bench. How much will they rack when you mount a board vertically on the side of the clamp? The tubular vices have quite a bit more racking than the square tubed vises on the Elite series.

If you haven't seen Rob Cosman's workbench video (youtube), he demonstrates how to build a substantial workbench for about $300 US using the Sjoberg Elite style vises and MDF. Just a thought.

Patrick

If you are anywhere near Arizona, this looks like a good deal for a nice bench if you plan to buy premade. Not my listing, just something i saw posted. Too far away or id be interested.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1468...1237595634851/

Hello all,

Cheers.

Marketing...probably.

If you have the time and means, you may want to slap together a quick bench and get a nice vise.
    Here's a dead easy workbench to build using what you have:
    https://woodgears.ca/workbench/build.html

Here's a hand tool only workbench:
    https://picnicpark.org/keith/woodwor...apBench-ne.pdf

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have a Roubo, and probably would need to just buy one (lack of time and energy). Premade has it's place.

However, I think that your first workbench will teach you a lot about what you need and don't need.
    You might as well spend on the good stuff....you can also beef up the points of failure (flexing of the base, thickness of the top, etc).

I am building a Mickelson 6 foot bench that will be for sale when it is finished. It is going to be in that price range. If you are interested in a bench the Michelson would be a much better bench.
    Tom

Tom - easy to miss, but he said he's in the EU. Shipping might not work out.