Thread: Spalted and food safe?

Spalted and food safe?

11” poplar bowl with some patchy, faint black and red spalting (I think it is spalting….the wood was a bit punky). sanded but no finish yet.

I told my kids they could keep whatever they earn at a local farmers market selling some of my stuff and I was curious if spalted wood is food safe or if it should be solely used for decoration.

C&C welcome.

Thanks, Tom

IMG_8471.jpgIMG_8474.jpgIMG_8472.jpg

If it has any zone lines, they will activate if they get damp for a period of time. Your finish will dictate how safe the fungus will remain. if you seal that below a film finish or just have put on a thin coat of organic oil.

If you dry the wood and seal it up, it is safe. Doesn't matter, if you tell most people it is food safe and the spalting is caused by a fungus they won't want it anyway. You'll probably see them brushing the imaginary spores off as they run away.

Look up Dr. Seri Robinson, aka Dr. Spalt. She says that all the fungi that cause spalting are designed/evolved to eat wood, not people. Some of the other fungi out in the woods or the barn yard can be hazardous though.

robo hippy

Thanks for all the info. What does “seal” mean? I typically finish with either Danish oil or Mahoneys. Would sanding sealer + multiple coats of Danish oil be considered “sealed”?
    Tom

A couple (or more) coats of your walnut oil will 'seal' the wood once the finish has cured.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

One thing I learned from Seri was that when wood reaches a certain dryness level, and I can't remember what that was, the spalting process stops. I don't know for sure if the spores can be reactivated or not. Sealing the wood is not necessary for getting the spalting to stop.

robo hippy