Thread: A couple simple stools

A couple simple stools

Trying to wrap my head around chair making. I made the tall counter stool for myself since I eat most of my meals at my kitchen counter. The short stool will be for a friend’s work desk. It will likely get trimmed a little shorter once she has a chance to try it out. The tall one has a poplar seat and the short one is cherry. The legs are hard maple. Everything was done by hand.

The angles are a little wonky, I’m not sure how much error got introduced in drilling/reaming the mortises vs. cutting/tapering the tenons. I used the techniques Christopher Schwartz demonstrates, planing a 6” taper on the end of the leg to start, then switching to a tapered tenon cutter to finish the tenons. Drilling and reaming the mortises was done by eye, using an auger bit in a brace, then the tapered reamer in an electric drill. It feels like a procedure that gets easier with practice.

I enjoyed making these. I may make another tall stool soon for work. The angled seat on my counter stool feels very ergonomic and my back feels much better after using it for a few weeks. We have desks that can be raised and lowered at work and I’m thinking that switching sitting positions throughout the day may be a really good idea.

IMG_1996.jpgIMG_1997.jpgIMG_1998.jpg

Ben , they look good. Now ,I suggest researching early Windsor chairs. They were
    cheap when new, and really expensive old and used. Out-put numbers are astounding.

Those are cool. Is that a cherry patch in the poplar seat?

Also it looks like the tenons and splines are rounded and raised just slightly above the seat. Or is that a camera illusion?

Walnut splines?

Very interesting design! Well Done!

I did put a cherry patch in the poplar seat. I drilled holes in it to mark depth, and my tape slipped. Since this was essentially practice, I decided to use a different wood rather than try and match grain and color with an off cut.

The wedges in the poplar seat are walnut. In the cherry seat they are cherry. I did the final trimming of the tenon with a gouge and left a little bit of texture and a slightly raised surface.