Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get this square?

Where can I get this square?

Anyone know where to get something like one of these that's not a chinese site? I saw that woodpecker offered one but I can't find it. It's a marking gauge, saddle square, and inside-corner square. I have one already and use it on site a lot for marking offsets and transferring marks. Lee Valley and Woodpecker offer a saddle square, but it's shaped without thought to using in an inside corner, it's only useful on outside corners.

What do you all use for transfer marks around corners, and doing quick offset marks?

If this Bridge City hinged unit had marking gauge holes it would be perfect.

Last edited by Jonathan Jung; 05-09-2023 at 10:22 PM.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I thought about taking this Shinwa square and cutting off the shortest leg/lip so it can be placed in an inside corner. But it doesn't have marking gauges and is a bit big.

Last edited by Jonathan Jung; 05-09-2023 at 10:17 PM.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

A little on the rich side, but here you go.
    https://www.woodpeck.com/saddle-t-square.html

I have the 4" version that I just had to have. Haven't used it in 4 years. It's handy when needed though.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

For my drywall square I drilled pencil marking holes at 16 and 32 inches for marking stud locations.
    Bill D.

Found the one in your pic. Don't know if it's a chinese site. Looks useful for me though.

Google "Levoite T50 Precision Marking T-squares Scriber Ruler, Metric". It's $24 here LINK

EDIT: Well, it turns out it IS a chinese site. Contact us says, "Company Address: 183-80 Xi shan north Road, Pujiang County, Jinhua City, Zhejiang". Dang. I wanted one of those! I'm leaving the post in case someone is still interested.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-10-2023 at 7:29 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

You can buy it off Amazon.

https://a.co/d/57SVTPS

Amazon doesn't have the metric, but Walmart does.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Woodworki...erId=101001636

Though the reality is that it's still coming from the same place as if you'd buy it off Banggood or AliExpress. They're all just 3PL fronts that warehouse/ship the stuff in the US for the Chinese manufacturers. I bought one awhile back of the China sites, and it is quite convenient.
    Last edited by Patrick Varley; 05-10-2023 at 8:21 AM.

I suppose you could use a 123 block with a really fat preschool pencil to fit the holes.
    Bill D

Amazon, $14.98
    Woodworking Scriber, Aluminum Alloy Saddle L Square Ruler, Precision Woodworking Tool with Metric Scale for Carpenter Square

Ask for it by name

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    ... but it's shaped without thought to using in an inside corner, ...
    Can't help w/ sourcing, but just an observation...
    Seems like the (red) T-50 needs another 'inverted' hole pattern on the perpendicular leg (hanging down in pic). If not so equipped, but applied on an inside corner, the provided inset holes would require a very long pencil lead, with the inherent angular error - and breakage! (Or as you say, use the BC hinged unit, but with holes.)

Looks like fertile ground for the lurking CNC operators?
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 05-10-2023 at 12:45 PM.

I use the Incra T-Rule set and it's excellent. This model has both imperial and metric holes and is very precise. I have had to scribe a very specific fractional inch line at times (like 2-13/64").

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD5EU/

Though, if you want something not as delicate and that can be used with thicker pen points, the metal solutions shown above are likely fine. Keep in mind that all the metal solutions are probably made in China as well. Many Amazon/Walmart listings are just imports and Amazon/Walmart are just the website reseller points.

Personally I hate those tools that use the fine Pentel style of pencil. Lead breakage is a huge issue on ring porous woods.

I completely agree. I stick to 2B pencils (not hb). The same ones they use for "fill in the multiple choice circle" exams. They are fathoms better than the hb's. And use either an old Boston sharpener or the newer xacto replica.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Personally I hate those tools that use the fine Pentel style of pencil. Lead breakage is a huge issue on ring porous woods.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    I completely agree. I stick to 2B pencils (not hb). The same ones they use for "fill in the multiple choice circle" exams. They are fathoms better than the hb's. And use either an old Boston sharpener or the newer xacto replica.
    My preference is #4/2H, specifically Ticonderoga, for general shop use. Fainter lines, but it's a hard lead that doesn't require as frequent sharpening.

These specific squares mentioned in this thread at least allow 0.7mm lead. Anything less than that I find maddening.

I also use the Incra T-Rule for offset marks; their small 6" version is nice for joinery. A Veritas saddle square is what I use for wrapping lines around outside corners. And I can't say that I've ever had to mark around an inside corner! I'd probably just grab a square scrap block for that task.