Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacement Kitchen cabinet doors

amber tint is probably oil based poly. All the lacquer I have used is clear. But there are additives for some that will provide an amber tint to make the results similar to oil based poly.

Wow, how did we get from white to natural oak? In any case, white oak is all the rage these days, not red oak. Pretty easy to tell the difference under a natural finish. White oak never has a reddish hue.

John

For comparison, I live in Australia, known for its wacky furniture and feature timbers, not so much for dimensional stability. Every kitchen here is made from some kind of man-made material, and there are lots of magazine-grade kitchens made every day. Since we don’t have a huge market for plywood, doors and drawer fronts are made from MDF, painted. The result can be fantastic, stable and uniform. Lots of prep work on cut edges of mdf, but so too is there on other materials.

If I was again living in North America I would use MDF now despite being raised on solid maple and baltic birch ply.

This the door style that my wife really likes. We'll probable hunt around in the Restore type places and see if we can come up with anything. Any size that we can't come up with I'll probably make. We're going to be making a trip to Portland, Or in the next week and will hit the Restore type places there also. We'll also be visiting Crosscut Hardwoods since their selection is much better than what we have locally. I'm thinking that the door pictured is Red Oak not sure about the finish though. I have a list of dimensions of the sizes we need. Jim
    door1.jpg

That looks like a solid slab door. Be aware that that style construction is very unstable. Changes in RH will make it expand/contract and bow more than any other. It needs to be installed as an overlay, with plenty of space in between.

John

Those are installed as an overlay. Any new door would also be installed as overlaid door. I'm into keeping it simple. Any hints as to the type as finish on the ones in the picture? Would kind of like to have them match but I could sand them down and refinish them all the same. Jim

An update. Just visited one of our local Restore stores and pickup 8 cabinets with the style of doors the wife wanted. I took her with me. I can modify the doors to fit our cabinets. It won't do them all but it's a start. The total for the cabinets was $250. It will cut down on the hardwood I have to buy. We're going to hit the Restore stores in the Portland, Or. area next week and see if we can come up with some more. Jim