Thread: Restoring antique and making mouldings with hollows and rounds

Blog Entries

Restoring antique and making mouldings with hollows and rounds

Good day all:

Where, oh where is Malcolm these days? Well, I’ve been around, just couldn’t post much because I was doing restorations for someone who forbade me to post any work online because a lot of the pieces were in private collections and sometimes those folks don’t want their stuff shared.

I am now back in my own shop and have been restoring a massive built-in mirror for a historic home. This project required me to replicate mouldings using hollows and rounds. Here is a video:

https://youtu.be/QafiJQUDKYA

I also am having to do a lot of hand carving on these capitals- gluing in repairs and carving to match. One photo is mid-stream, the other is after carving and I’m now blending colors. (Two different capitals in different stages.)
    18558D39-BEE1-40FA-94D4-33D36A3F1544.jpg C9E757D6-ACD5-43B9-8CDC-57ECA8986288.jpg

Here is the moulding I am replicating and the replica completed and ready for stain:

79466FDD-6CA9-4F90-91BF-F2A6B8F7D27F.jpg AF8F6E09-B5B3-4BC1-96CC-61500C639D4D.jpg

Here is the piece. There are columns that mount on the pedestals. The smaller mirrors go left and right of the larger one.

87B173BC-09E9-4EC2-B19D-B1C610BF4459.jpg

Good Stuff ! Enjoyed it. Also seeing you on YOU TUBE ! Did Ya have to any Re- Takes ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Good Stuff ! Enjoyed it. Also seeing you on YOU TUBE ! Did Ya have to any Re- Takes ?
    This one came out right on the first try!

Blog Entries
    Great to hear from you! Very interesting work – thanks for posting. Cheers, Mike.

Blog Entries
    Interesting stuff.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Neat-O! That's inspiring. I suspect I would be reaching for power tools way too soon.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Neat-O! That's inspiring. I suspect I would be reaching for power tools way too soon.
    Maurice , as someone who’s lived in three countries and 10 different cities in the US, including St. Louis, have to say, I love your tagline! Hysterical!��. St. Louis, great baseball town-love their Cardinals-respect!

Blog Entries
    St. Louis has so much great old architectural wood work. The piece you are working on would fit right in a big, grand old house in St. Louis.
    Best Regards, Maurice