Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pirates Chest - construction techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    George, I think version C is the right way to do it. After putting down the first layer of planks, layout the locations for the second layer and fit them. Don't install them though. Add the iron straps, then mark the second layer of planks so you can cut the dados for the straps. Then install those planks.
    Good... I favored 'C', as it has a continuos layer that should be stronger.
    Thanks again!

Glad to help. I'm anxious to see the result.

Treasure Chest blog

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Todd
    George,
    I would like to follow your progress. How about some "in progress" photos?
    Looks interesting.
    For those interested, I have a blog of the Treasure Chest design and construction started.

Treasure chest blog

I have set a user ID and PW. Not that there is anything sensitive in the blog, it's just that I have control over who I may let in...

ID workshop
    PW 4ws2use

There are other links at the top of the page that you may also wish to browse.

4. Aww, is that the luck little guy in the first pic? Looks like he's trying to tell you he already knows how to do it!lol. He's a cutie and He's gonna love it, cant wait to see it finished!

Quote Originally Posted by valerie williams
    Aww, is that the luck little guy in the first pic? Looks like he's trying to tell you he already knows how to do it!lol. He's a cutie and He's gonna love it, cant wait to see it finished!
    Yes that's Alec, and you hit the nail on the head. He often say's "I know Grampy...". To be so young and knowledgeable

This is a steamer trunk, there are MANY kits available and plans as well. all good suggestions here.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher
    This is a steamer trunk, there are MANY kits available and plans as well. all good suggestions here.
    I found more hits on 'steamer trunks', but have always liked to design projects myself. I review what's available, show a few pictures to the client (relatives), and use that as a starting point. I find the design component more than half the fun. Plans potentially eliminate many of the variables that lead to failure and I too recommend plans for those who wish to avoid the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by George Matthews
    For those interested, I have a blog of the Treasure Chest design and construction started.

Treasure chest blog

ID workshop
    PW 4ws2use
    Shown here are a few shots of my weekend accomplishments. Visit my blog for more pictures and details.
    Attached Images Attached Images

George, that's coming along nicely. Your strongback looks great. I expect you'll have excellent success. The only thing I would have done differently is starting in the middle and working toward the front and back. Still, you'll get it and it will work fine.

Thanks for sharing.

After this you might just as well build a larger strongback and built your little pirate a pirate ship.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 02-20-2006 at 5:59 AM.

Question Rivet spacing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards.
    Still, you'll get it and it will work fine.
    Dave
    I spaced the rivets and rove pairs 4" apart. Is that reasonable?

The lid... almost done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    George, that's coming along nicely. Your strongback looks great. I expect you'll have excellent success. The only thing I would have done differently is starting in the middle and working toward the front and back.
    It's been a few weeks... My grandson (5) came for his visit but we only had about an hour or so in the shop. Now that he's gone, I'm back in the shop more frequently. The lid is almost completed.

Dave's advise about starting from the middle 'came home' when I got to the middle and couldn't use clamps!

I've uploaded a few teaser shots of the copper work, but I have more details in my blog...

http://web.mac.com/sgmatthews/iWeb/C...Blog/Blog.html

ID = workshop
    PW = 4ws2use
    Attached Images Attached Images

George, that is coming along very nicely. Thanks for the update. I imagine you'll have it finished pretty soon. I bet you've got an excited pirate waiting for his chest.

Once the chest is out of the way you'll be ready to start on a pram. They're almost the same shape but you have to start in the center and work out. About the only difference is that the ends will be at an angle and the sides (your front and back on the trunk lid) will be the whiskey or last planks installed.

George, my apologies, I missed your question about the rivets. 4" is probably fine.