Thread: Croquet set

Croquet set

So my son; not really my son, but he thinks he is when he needs something, requested that I make him 2 croquet sets, because the junky ones you buy at target or Wally World fall apart the first time they are used. When my wife heard the request, she demanded one too. I will be making them out of ash.The problem I'm running into, is that I want to put 2.5 inch X .5 inch ferrules on the ends of the heads to keep the heads from mushrooming at the end when they are used. I can't find anything affordable to use. I was going to use 2.5 inch copper pipe too make the ferrules. I about died when I saw the cost. They are also a bit small, because apparently, defying convention, copper pipe is measured by outer diameter. Then I thought I could use 2.5 inch copper pipe end caps. They would be the right size, but are still very expensive. I need 36 of them. Brass is at least as expensive. I have even considered brass or steel rings. They are more affordable, but I don't think they would be as effective. Does anyone have any Ideas for making ferrules that won't break the bank? Also, where would I get them? Maybe a better Idea than the ferrules? TIA,
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Random thoughts: PVC ferrules. SST ferrules. Cactus Juice to stabilize the heads.

How will the mallet heads be shaped? If they are straight cylinders with flat ends and sharp(ish) shoulders, you are likely to see damage with use. But if you look at higher-end croquet sets, you will notice that the mallet heads are tapered with rounded ends. With that sort of shape, you will get some dents but minimal fraying. Material matters as well. Ash should be fine; elm with its interlocking grain might be even better.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Thought I'd look up coequet mallets and see what they are selling - rather shocked, there seems to be a move towards square rather than round along with carbon fiber, aluminum body, etc.
    Anyway, banding really didn't appear but what looks like a reasonable idea is a plastic end piece. Have a look at #9 in this link:

https://www.croquetnetwork.com/croqu...t-mallets-2022

You could easily make a round one out of something like a plastic cutting board or whatever.
    Might even consider insetting the plastic but leaving it a bit proud to absorb the blow or maybe insetting the head with a small plastic rim of slightly larger diameter than the mallet body.
    Last edited by Bill Howatt; 05-09-2023 at 9:43 AM.

I would think about turning disks out of ash or elm and attaching to the ends of the mallet. Attach with inserts in the mallet and countersunk screws. Make some extras and replace as required. It could also be an opportunity to personalize each mallet

An old David Ellsworth video where he made a green wood tool handle, for the ferule, he used some nylon thread for the ferule, and chased that with CA glue. Any kind of rope or twine could work. Copper wire could work, I am sure there are other things that could be would around the ends.

robo hippy

I've seen square head Croquet mallets with a wrap of brass flat stock wrapped around and a single escutcheon pin driven through the overlap seam on the top of the mallet head. You must play croquet much more aggressively than my family. It is a gentlemen's game after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    You must play croquet much more aggressively than my family.
    That is along the lines of what i was thinking. Was wondering why a croquet mallet would need a ferrule at all. Sixty some years ago my grandparents had a croquet set that had been used for who knows how many years and I do not remember any of the mallets having a deformed head.

As a side note I do not recall anyone playing croquet since I left home as a young person. Looks like the game is still alive.

It seems like #9 on that list Bill posted the link to looks like an easy way to make end caps. Like he suggested, a cutting board mounted with brass or stainless screws countersunk into the plastic. If they need replacing it wouldn't be hard to do.

Thank you everyone for your ideas. I replied to this Wednesday, but apparently it didn't arrive on the forum. I like the idea of replaceable disks on the heads, and will have to think more on that. The shape of the head will be straitght-ish cylinders with the ferrule at the end of each head, and a slightly rounded end. I instantly dismissed the idea of PVC because of the look, but I'm now rethinking it. If I use PVC, I should be able to put a brass strap around it to dress it up. I thought about wrapping string around the ends in place of the ferrule, and gluing it in place, but I lack any particular skill in that area, and would probably glue myself to a mallet head. I would really like to stabilize the ends with cactus juice, but don't have the equipment. Maybe I could soak the ends with CA glue for stabilization, and the ferrules won't be necessary. The mallet heads have arrived, and I am hoping to find the time to get started. If anybody else has any ideas, I'm all ears.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    I would really like to stabilize the ends with cactus juice, but don't have the equipment.
    Not sure Cactus Juice will add that kind of strength anyway. You might consider using osage orange or lignum vitae as a striking surface. You could fasten it on with finger joints like some German made hand planes do on the soles of the planes.

I made a croquet set with square heads and used 1/4" HMWPE found in my "forgotten stash". I drilled and countersunk holes for flat headed screws to hold in place--
    no adhesive that I knew of would stick-- then beveled the edges with a rasp. Still holding up