Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas can frustrations

I never spill a drop with either of the "illegal" types I showed pictures of earlier. Not only do they not spill, but are easy to operate. You can see what you're doing, and lower the can when it gets close to full to slow up and stop pouring.

They still make metal safety gas cans without the extra. I saw some of them at Menards the other day when shopping for something else.

I have several 5 gallon gas/diesel cans with no vent, but they just have a cover that slides over the end of the spout. I also have a diesel can I bought for an emergency that has one of those stupid valves that is almost impossible to open. I never use that can.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-09-2023 at 1:40 PM.

Those so-called engineers that design this crap, probably never used a gas can in their lifetime.

I have a couple of these. They come with a funnel which has to be cleaned if you haven't used it in a while.
    Solid, no screw threads to struggle with, doesn't tip.

61zo5uBpYCL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Go to Nevada. Buy something that works. Do not tell the fruit inspectors.
    Bill D

I use the No-Spill ones that were linked above.

Still using my trusty WEDCOs from the eighties. Have several, and need to order some more spouts and vent caps. Squirrels love to chew on vent caps, till they get a hole thru and get a snort of gasoline vapors. Every time I see one in thrift store, or yard sale, I snap it up.

I followed William's suggestion, and bought a replacement nozzle off Amazon. The nozzle came a collection of parts. There was a nozzle, two collars of different thread pitches to hold the nozzle on the can, and a bunch of gaskets and small parts for the pressure relief opening. The parts and the kit are completely anonymous -- no name or logo. My gas can now performs well.

Adding a vent helps. I've seen some sold on Amazon but I just use valve stems with the core removed. I just unscrew the valve stem cap when I want to pour. I get the idea about not wanting to spill MTBE but that hasn't been used for some time now. I haven't bought a new gas can in a very long time and with the new flame mitigation device standard coming this summer I don't see myself buying anything any time soon but if I did it would be one of the race car style cans that don't have to comply with all the nonsense (yet).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Go to Nevada. Buy something that works. Do not tell the fruit inspectors.
    Bill D
    I don't think the fruit inspectors care about gas cans, firearms or even bodies in the trunk.

Last time I drove into California a hip looking young man asked if I had any fruits or vegetables. I told him no. He said, "welcome to California."

He didn't ask me if I had any live plants. I was carrying a couple lovage plants that were propagated by seed. The seeds came from propagations of plants originally grown in my garden in California.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

They do not rally care about the plants. What they care about are the bugs in the soil or fruit. Plants in soil is how the metal chewing termites made it into the LA area. They will chew through a metal termite guard to get to your house. They also eat into buried wires and pipes.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I have one of these and really like it.
    Attachment 500936
    You place the spout into the tank opening, there is a small black lever that you push down with the palm of your hand as you wrap your fingers over the green push button and squeeze. The valve opens easily and gas flows into the tank. When you release the green push handle or the gas level reaches the lower end on of the nozzle the gas flow stops. Once you get the hang of it it works really well. Reading the instructions did help.
    I just purchased this can. Got home and read the reviews with people saying how horrible it was to use. Almost took it back. Used it for the first time and had no problem. People just need to read the directions or watch a video on how to use it.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Sadly we live in a world where some idiot can be pouring gasoline into their lawnmower while lighting a cigarette and then find a lawyer who will get a court to make the gas can manufacturer pay for the plaintiff's stupidity.

That is why you pay more for today's gas can and no longer purchase a simple gas can to do a simple job.

Let us all take a moment to offer our thoughts and prayers to idiots and the lawyers who love to take their cases.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've been using the Stens No-Spill can a couple people have linked to for my 2 cycle stuff for a couple of years, and a 5 gallon steel Eagle
    UI-50-FS for the mower. Best cans I've found!

My uncles first real job after graduating, with a degree in chemistry, was designing flame arrestor vents for oil tanks. He graduated around 1930 so not exactly cutting edge tech today.
    Just put some metal wool in the vent pipe to soak up any heat. the scienc was to make sure the metal would not react with the chemicals or corrode in air and decide how much mass was needed as well as pore size.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-16-2023 at 5:01 PM.