Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas can frustrations

Gas can frustrations

I spent a good fifteen minutes today wrestling with a new-fangled gas can. The thing is mandated by the government to be child-proof and spill-proof. Unfortunately it is adult-proof. I eventually removed the spout and poured directly from the can into the weedwhacker. I spilled a bunch too. Grrrr.

Anybody have a solution which works as well as the simple straightforward cans we all grew up using?

Google "gas can retrofit". Lots of options.
    BillL

I keep a big funnel with the can. Fast pouring and no spillage. Even in the days of free flowing flexible spouts the funnel worked better and faster.

Blog Entries
    I have one of these and really like it.
    5-g-sc-side-angled.jpg
    You place the spout into the tank opening, there is a small black lever that you push down with the palm of your hand as you wrap your fingers over the green push button and squeeze. The valve opens easily and gas flows into the tank. When you release the green push handle or the gas level reaches the lower end on of the nozzle the gas flow stops. Once you get the hang of it it works really well. Reading the instructions did help.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

We have one of these. https://www.amazon.com/TERA-PUMP-Aut...010GNM7H4?th=1 We keep it in the shed with the tractor and 4 wheeler in the summer but bring it in during the winter to save on the batteries. It's just too hard for us to lift a full can anymore.

The only small engine I have now is an old Stihl 021 which doesn't get used for months sometimes. I've still got one of those old gas cans with a regular spout. I feel your pain about the new cans being tough. The only thing harder to pour from neatly in my experience are those old metal military 5 gallon cans with no neck. I hate those.

You can generally buy replacement spouts on Amazon and other sources to reconfigure a fuel container to be easier to use. I did that for my current gasoline container (kit added a vent, too) and if I replace my diesel container, I'll do the same.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have my trusty old 5 gallon can and spout from the 1970s.
    When I die, I'll pass it along to my son.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by William Lessenberry View Post
    Google "gas can retrofit". Lots of options.
    BillL
    Have you bought one? Does it work well? Brand name?

I like the kind with the yellow spout in the picture below for small equipment. They don't make them anymore, but I keep them out of the Sun as much as possible, and have found several backups.

The spout on the 5 gallon can is sold periodically off ebay by an individual who makes them. There is an aluminum machined part that fits inside of the stock screw on cap, a length of hose, and a machined aluminum stopper. I like the ones he makes for Midwest 5 gallon jugs because the seal gasket slips over the big machined aluminum part, and is captive.

I used to install the plastic flapper vents, but they leak after a while, so I switched to the bolt in tire valve type. I put two in each one I use for diesel.
    https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Replace...NrPXRydWU&th=1

Both are much easier to not spill from than any of the current crop of manufactured ones.

edited to add: I just checked ebay, and they're up right now. Make sure you get the correct one for your type of gas can. If your jug is old, or you need to get one, buy a Midwest. Tractor Supply often has them on sale. The machined part he makes works with the Midwest stock seal, and is the best design. The Midwest cans have the two handles on them like the one in the sideways picture.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item...&_ssn=webwings
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-08-2023 at 3:25 PM.

I use these
    https://nospill.com/
    Similar to what Lee posted

I buy the simple gas can caps on amazon-no spout or anything-just caps, and take the spring loaded ones off. I use them a lot for work and always have a long funnel.

Does anyone like those CARB compliant gas cans? There were some You Tube videos on modifying them to make them usable, I look at estate sales for decent ones.

CARB = California Air Resources Board.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Have you bought one? Does it work well? Brand name?
    Not personally, but a friend got one and is happy with it. No idea what brand it was, but it came in an Amazon box and the nozzle is yellow.
    BillL

I find the more "safe" they make the cans the more gas I get on myself. The one I have now builds a ton of upper body strength as it drains the can at about a cup or two a minute