Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EGO lawn tools.

EGO lawn tools.

Considering going gas free. My gas blower and weed trimmer are about 12 years old so starting to think about new.

Weed trimmer and blower. Not a mower. WAY TOO MUCH grass to cut for that.

Considering EGO for one reason. Their battery blower has a gutter cleaning attachment. I have gutter toppers and need to blow them off at times. I use a gas powered Husqvarna now for that.

For EGO owners, What is the life span for the batteries? Not how long a charge last (that would be helpful too) but the life as in 3 years or 5 years before needing replaced.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have the Ego blower and chainsaw and happy with both. One reason I bought them was I am getting older and yanking on the starter cord was not easy. Also, never any trouble starting. The blower is good but not quite as good as my Stihl gas powered. But, it is good enough for my uses.

I am going to buy an EGO string trimmer this summer.

My batteries are going strong after 4+ years. I have them for the chainsaw, weed trimmer, and blower. The chainsaw certainly isn't the equivalent of a strong gas one, but it does the trick for cutting through palm fronds that have fallen so that the garbage men will pick them up.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

My edger and string trimmer are working very well after 4 years. They are not really tested as I have a postage sized yard but I am impressed with the quality enough that I will buy an EGO mower if my Honda ever dies.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Not an owner, but Kyle from RR Buildings has one of their ZTRs and really likes it. Seems to work well. Having multiple things that can use the same battery system is certainly a plus, although that's not unique to EGO. I will eventually be considering this move myself. My SCAG ZTR is way more machine than is needed here at our new property (as of two years ago) and if I wasn't cutting the lot next door for a neighbor who owns it, I may have already made the move. But the SCAG is paid for and I'll continue to use it at least until the lot is someone else's to cut.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    For EGO owners, What is the life span for the batteries? Not how long a charge last (that would be helpful too) but the life as in 3 years or 5 years before needing replaced.
    I did a similar 'evolution dance' with yard tools: 2stoke > 4 stroke (all = pull-start to exhaustion) > 18volt > 56volt EGO. Now have several EGO tools and chargers, acquired piece-meal (mostly EGO's BORG-era), and zero complaints. I finish a task in less time than simply starting a 2-stroke. The only battery issue I had was self-induced: I was hanging in a tree with the chain saw in a bind and over-heated the battery (ruined it). The terrible awful price of stupid!

I currently have 3 other batteries; oldest 4Ahr is ~6yrs (...maybe 7??) and has ~1/3 the endurance of my other, slightly newer 4Ahr. SWAG that older one will get another season or 2 on it, then trash/recycle. The 'good' 4Ahr battery will run the blower on continuous MAX for ~20min. I have 1x 7.5 Ahr battery, that will handle all trim and blower tasks on a typical 0.25ac Saturday session on a single charge. If I use the 4Ahr batteries, a Saturday will typically drain both. I can exhaust all 3 in 1-1.5hrs with the chain saw, including log handling time, but rapid charger keeps me working well past this.

Charge time depends on both the charger and battery: for a 4Ahr battery, the honkin' combat rapid version is 18-20 minutes to get back to work (7.5Ahr = ~30min?); the civilian charger included with typical tool takes ~1hr. (Never put a stop watch on them, so YMMV.) I try to use the slow charger when time/task allows, on the theory that it creates less heat :: longer life.

Only downside I've found is cost. The batteries have doubled in price since my initial purchase. (...EV fad >>> lithium prices??) Currently, $400 for the 7.5Ahr battery alone makes a Stihl gas chainsaw seem pretty reasonable.

Last I looked the BLU BORG offers up to 10Ahr batteries, and there is a commercial battery back-pack (capacity?) ... in case you feel the need.

Not sure what battery tools you have but if Milwaukee, check out the M12 blower. I’ve had it for a few years now and it is excellent. It is what I used on the roof and gutter toppers. I was wither on a 8’ ladder or on the roof however.

My Wife bought the mid-sized Ego blower, and I've been most impressed with it. I can't tell you how long the battery life is because it's only about a year old. I intend to get their biggest, strongest one next Fall.

1/2 acre lot ( including home ). All in grass except the driveway. Takes me roughly an hour to mow with walk behind EGO mower. (I push it for exercise and rarely use self drive feature). Usually have 1-2 “bars” (of 5) left on the 10 Ahr battery when I finish.
    The same battery lets me finish snow blowing the 3 car driveway as long as I get to it by 4-5 inch accumulation and the snow isn’t too wet and slushy.
    Haven’t exhausted the 2.5 Ahr battery yet using it in string trimmer or the blower - both more than adequate for my needs.
    A satisfied customer but not looking forward to cost of replacing the battery. I got the 10 Ahr packaged with the mower and replacement I think is currently about $500.
    I can’t speak to battery lifespan as my units are a bit over 1 year old
    Jeff

Ditto to what everyone else had said, I have the EGO walk behind mower, their largest blower, multi purpose tool with tiller, polesaw and metal edger, plus their chainsaw and weed string trimmer.

All have been brilliant.

Chris, “walk behind mower” ? That means accepting SECOND place ! I would reconfigure !

I have three EGO batteries that are five or six years old and still going strong. I had one battery fail prematurely, but I got all of my EGO stuff, including batteries, from a place that was selling Home Depot returns so the battery could have been abused before I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Chris, “walk behind mower” ? That means accepting SECOND place ! I would reconfigure !
    Don't understand this comment.....

It's a push mower, although the wheels can be driven, used for places where my ride on is too wide.

Motor cycle race allusion….. that failed . Maybe I can do a re-write.

Now I'm with you.