Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30" X 7ft top glue up

30" X 7ft top glue up

1st time gluing up a top this length. Any advantage is doing it in two 15" sections then gluing these two pcs vs doing it all at one time?
    Brian

I did a 40" x 94" top seven boards & did it in 2 glue ups seemed easier to control and came out great. The only advantage I found was it seemed way less stressful than some other ones I tried to tackle all at once.

if you are only gluing 5-6 boards, I would do it all at once.

But prepare everything in advance and have it right there. Do a dry run so you know everything is where you want it.

Use cauls covered in packing tape to keep it flat.

Breaking it into 2 sections would be best for flattening after glue up, provided you have a 15+ inch planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    if you are only gluing 5-6 boards, I would do it all at once
    You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

I’m a weenie. I do one joint at a time.

Do it in three 10" sections. If bottom isn't visible, then pocket screw it together on bottom side

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Do it in three 10" sections. If bottom isn't visible, then pocket screw it together on bottom side

sacrilege

I’d do it all at once but do what makes you most comfortable. I’ve done so many like this that I don’t get nervous anymore. Just have everything ready to go and if this is your first big glue up, do a dry run.

Some things to help you
    - use cauls or dominos or dowels to help alignment (you don’t need to glue dominos/dowels or over do the number)
    - glue one side and smear/roll the glue on covering all parts of the edge
    - stack the boards in order over clamps on their edges
    - clamp loosely at first and slowly tighten evenly
    - don’t over tighten - the glue is what holds the boards not the clamps!!!
    - I also prefer to use small clamps and pinch between every seam at both ends

Good luck!

I did a solid 8/4 walnut dining table top that was 42 x 108 in a single glue up, and that was tough but doable and all the joints were perfect. Following that, I had to glue up another 8/4 table top that was 48 x 96 and I decided to do it in two glue ups. As accurate and precise as my equipment is, getting a perfect joint down the middle on the second glue up was close to impossible. It was close to perfect, but not as perfect as the other joints. If I had to do it again, I would definitely do it in one glue up and use Titebond Extend, which gives a longer open time. If the water resistance of Titebond II is not necessary, (Titebond II is available in the Extend version, too), I would use regular Titebond Extend, which according to Titebond, offers the least amount of creep of any of their wood glues, including Titebond II Extend.

I did them all at once . Ripped off any sap wood. Laid out ,and marked best order. Machine jointed all edges straight. Then raised
    outfeed table a couple thou. to make “sprung joints” . Applied glue to both edges of all pieces , put spring clamps on ends to hold even while clamping.
    I put a board on and under the middle of whole thing and clamped both ends to flatten middle. Added bar clamps, when total width exceeded planer or sander width I did 2 halves, separately, then jointed and glued the two sections together. Sometimes there would then be some machine planing when material thickness allowed, and sometimes I had to just belt sand ,then orbital sand.
    Good to have multiple tellings here as I doubt any of us have editors. Hey, that method is even used with that NUCLEAR stuff !

I do wide glue ups a lot, I'd suggest diluting your yellow glue with 5% water to lengthen the opening time. Some people use splines, biscuits or dowels but I use nothing. Make sure you ready and organized so you can get it glued up in a timely fashion without stress and screwing it up.

Blog Entries
    I would do it in multiple glue ups. It is easier to get the pieces aligned before the glue starts to set up with only one or two glue lines to address. Subsequent clean up goes faster.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    I’d do it all at once but do what makes you most comfortable. I’ve done so many like this that I don’t get nervous anymore. Just have everything ready to go and if this is your first big glue up, do a dry run.

Some things to help you
    - use cauls or dominos or dowels to help alignment (you don’t need to glue dominos/dowels or over do the number)
    - glue one side and smear/roll the glue on covering all parts of the edge
    - stack the boards in order over clamps on their edges
    - clamp loosely at first and slowly tighten evenly
    - don’t over tighten - the glue is what holds the boards not the clamps!!!
    - I also prefer to use small clamps and pinch between every seam at both ends

Good luck!
    I use the exact same process except I do glue the dominos.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Two sections first is generally easier to deal with but part of the decision comes down to how well the boards fit together...if your material prep and machining was done well and you have a good surface to support the whole thing for clamping from the get-go, there's certainly no harm in doing it as one assembly. It's probably best to use a glue that has a much longer working time, however, so you don't have to rush as you work to keep things aligned during the clamping process. I personally do like to use Dominos for something like this to assure the top surface across the assembly stays in-plane...an alignment aid.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Depends on your experience level. If you feel concerned glue up in stages. Stages means less rush with glue set up and less moving parts.