Thread: Questions on Performax 22-44 Pro

Questions on Performax 22-44 Pro

Hi All,

I am considering the purchase of a Performax 22-44 Pro. Asking price is $2K, which would include shipping from CA.

The Performax is an older machine. Would it make sense to buy a new Jet/Grizzley/??? instead of this?

Thanks

Ray

If you are considering a new sander, you might want to look into the Supermax brand. I've read many good comments about it here on the Creek.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bahr View Post
    Hi All,

I am considering the purchase of a Performax 22-44 Pro. Asking price is $2K, which would include shipping from CA.

The Performax is an older machine. Would it make sense to buy a new Jet/Grizzley/??? instead of this?...
    $2k is about 3-4 times its used value. Now made by Jet (?) Grizzly a laughable substitute.

I've had trouble with getting replacement feed belts. And with feeding on aftermarket belts. A wide-belt sander it isn't.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Hi Andy,

This is pre Jet acquisition. What do you mean by "A wide-belt sander it isn't."?

Thanks

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bahr View Post
    Hi Andy,

This is pre Jet acquisition. What do you mean by "A wide-belt sander it isn't."?...
    Mine is also pre-Jet.

It is an extremely poor substitute for a wide-belt sander.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I would pass at half the price. I bought that exact machine new directly from Performax. From day one, I never could produce a panel that was truly flat. It was always thicker near the open end and panels over 22 inches wide run through in both directions produce a noticeable crown in the middle. Performax even sent out a tech to adjust the machine and his results were the same as mine. They ultimately bought back the machine and I ended up getting a well used Woodmaster single head with a 38 inch capacity. That machine performed flawlessly for over 20 years without ever having to adjust anything. However, to increase my productivity, I ultimately acquired a 37 inch single head wide belt sander. The Woodmaster was slower than a wide belt, and changing paper on the Woodmaster was more involved than a wide belt, but for the money, and if time time is not an issue, it's a great value and the results can't be beat.

Hi All,

I did some back and forth on this, and decided that the price was more than I wanted. I have pretty much decided on the SuperMax 19-38 Drum Sander.

Thanks for the feedback

Ray

Ray, I picked up a 19-38 a few years ago (used but pristine) and it's a good machine. I owned a 22-44 years ago and never used it, but it was certainly not bad. My needs changed and that welcomed the 19-38 into my shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...