Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garrett Hack sideboard – partial build thread

Blog Entries

Garrett Hack sideboard – partial build thread

I don’t get to post much these days since six months ago I retired from my day job and started teaching high school woodshop. Turns out riding heard on high schoolers is tiring!

I’ve always been a big fan of Garrett Hack’s work. I really like the simple shaker like lines of his projects and the way he adds details that really catch your eye. I wanted to build his sideboard for a long time and finally got around to it. I was motivated by discovering a stash of spalted maple that I thought would be ideal for some highlight panels. I hadn’t planned on posting the build so don’t have pictures of the initial carcass construction here’s a couple shots that show the carcass assembled with the spalted maple panels on the side and also on an internal shelf.

I really got lucky with the walnut I glued up for the tabletop. Here’s some pics of surfacing/dimensioning. One of the subtle details of Hack’s design is very slight curve to the top along both sides and front.

Last edited by Mike Allen1010; 05-06-2023 at 12:20 PM.

Blog Entries
    Once curve was planed, I used a #6 to plane the 1 Ύ” bevel on the underside of the tabletop – this is another detail I really like.

Simple buttons for attaching the tabletop. I finally broke down and bought a dedicated right angle cordless drill motor which really makes installing screws inside the carcass a lot easier.

Here are the beveled, flush fit drawers installed.

Although spalted maple panels were “fancy” enough on their own, I went out on a limb and installed some purple cock beading and also use the Purple Heart to turn the pulls. I’m not much of a Turner; in my new, smaller shop there is no place to have the lathe set up all the time so I have to hoist it over on top of the bench whenever I want to use it, so I try and avoid it when I can.

Making the interior frames/rails/kickers for drawers is one of my favorite jobs as it soft lumber and the work goes quickly right off the saw.

Blog Entries

Design called for knife hinges. I rarely use these but they turned out to be easier to fit than I expected. More work than butt hinges, but result I think fits well.

I really struggle trying to find the right catches for cabinet doors. Seems like these always take forever to fit accurately and get a consistent reveal. I use these brass, ball catches because you can adjust the tension, but would really like to learn to use magnet catches – what do you guys recommend?

Here’s some pics of the finished piece. My go to finish is Watco oil/varnish, followed by shellac. Because I wanted something more durable I I added a topcoat of polyurethane. I’m pleased with the result.

Thanks for looking!

All the best, Mike

Great work as always.

Great to see Mike-the walnut top is lovely and I’m also a big fan of Hack’s work. Kudos on another fine piece!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Spectacular piece Mike! Once again you demonstrate the “power” of hand tools. Keep the torch burning!

Just WOW, Mike!

That design of Garrett Hack’s is one of my favourite. I’m envious you built it. Details and execution … just wow!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    WOW!!!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very impressive. The lighting really makes the Purple Heart pop. Is it that pronounced in person? Will it become more subdued over time?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Professor, you never disappoint! Very nicely done, sir.
    Best to you and the family. Patrick

Mike, great to see new stuff ! Some old side boards had fabric on the fronts. You have made the wood look like fabric ! More durable !

Having built that piece, I know how challenging it is. Nice Job!

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys,!I really think the star here is Garrett Hacks design. I loved the way he starts with classic Shaker proportions/designs and then adds all these hidden nuggets that to me it appears only fellow woodworkers will appreciate.

I love to build things, but couldn’t imagine creating this kind of design. Super grateful people like GH do this work. BTW, you can order full size plans for this design from Fine Woodworking mag.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Professor, you never disappoint! Very nicely done, sir.
    Best to you and the family. Patrick
    Counselor, always great to hear from you – hope you and yours are doing great!! Hoping for summer solstice on lower State Street for a family reunion this year. Love to catch up if we can.

All the best, Mike.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Very impressive. The lighting really makes the Purple Heart pop. Is it that pronounced in person? Will it become more subdued over time?
    Hey Rob, The purple heart really retains its color a lot better than I would’ve guessed. I have used Paduck, a similar tropical wood that has a similar color in the past that quickly fades. Don’t have long-term experience with purple heart, but the tone hasn’t changed much after finishing, which I typically see with tropical woods so I guess we’ll have to see.

Cheers, Mike.