Thread: How a Veritas Jack Rabbet Plane is made - Interesting Video

How a Veritas Jack Rabbet Plane is made - Interesting Video

You guys may have already seen this, but in doing some searching and comparison on planes this video popped into my que. No clue how it compares to other plane manufacturers, but I found it very interesting. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/fOpwhFlD38M
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 05-05-2023 at 11:15 AM.

Greg Parrish: thanks for posting that video link. Really interesting and well worth the time to view it..

Fun video and great to hear Rob's voice--now I'll hear a Canadian accent with every swipe of a LV plane
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I enjoy the quality and traditional design of the LN tools and the modern streamlined innovative design of Veritas tools. As woodworkers we are blessed to have access to such tools. And, before I get pounced on for applauding these two companies I acknowledge there are many other companies producing quality tools. I’m simply referring to the two companies that seem to provide the bulk of contemporary hand tools used by creekers.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Lee Valley must have had a lot of fun making this video. Knowing Rob, who has a wonderfully dry sense of humour, what you get is a very serious plane (indeed, serious plane), with joking comments (“Swiss Army Knife”), and elaborate construction detail. Actually, it is a very interesting and accurate video (I have been there).

I wrote a detailed review of this wonderful plane here:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasJackRabbetPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

When you see all of the hand work that goes into one of these, the sales price seems cheap!

I sold my bevel up Jack plane because I have the Jack Rabbet Plane. I also have a regular No. 5. They do different things in my shop.
    Interestingly, I always had a problem keeping the tote in the attitude I set it. It always slipped around. One day about 2 months ago, I took the tote mechanism apart, and found an imperfect notch on the machined part pressed into the plane. Of course Colin processed a replacement plane immediately. Great service. SUperb plane.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I acquired one of these yesterday second hand, in part due to the video and article from Derek. I don't have an immediate need for it but the price was right and the engineering behind it is very nice. It struck me as a tool I'd feel I missed out on if they were to stop producing it.

The advantage of a Jack Rabbet plane over most other rabbet planes is the double iron, which enables you to cut a rabbet in difficult grain without tearout. By eliminating the cap iron, Lee Valley has greatly diminished this plane.

All the engineers and designers in the world are no help if nobody knows how to use a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    The advantage of a Jack Rabbet plane over most other rabbet planes is the double iron, which enables you to cut a rabbet in difficult grain without tearout. By eliminating the cap iron, Lee Valley has greatly diminished this plane.

All the engineers and designers in the world are no help if nobody knows how to use a plane.
    Warren, while I agree that the closed up double iron is ultimately better at controlling tearout in reversing grain, the Jack Rabbet's BU configuration is very capable of controlling tearout with a high angle blade. In fact, the JR can plane across the grain producing a better result than a double iron since the BU configuration can create a lower cutting angle.

Regards from Perth

Derek

The fence seems like a useful option as well.