Thread: Epoxy over deck stain?

Epoxy over deck stain?

I have a small bridge over a drainage ditch that needs protection and recently had a discussion with. a painter who proposed a very expensive solution ro what seems to me a relatively minor issue so I'm looking doe someone experienced in this area. The bridge is constructed of treated wood and as best I can determine was never finished previously. It's is subjected to constant sun and rain. It is used only for access to a back yard area by a zero turn mower and some minor foot traffic. The painter who provided the estimate says the best solution would be to do a deck stain and then an epoxy over coat. While I understand the issue, it just seems to me that this isn't a cost effective solution to a minor problem.

How long do epoxy coatings last on exposed wood surfaces? Certainly the stain won't retain its color for any extensive period of time and then to redo that would necessitate removing the epoxy to again stain the deck.

I'm thinking that the most cost efficient process would be to use a high quality deck stain and just redo it as necessary.

All suggestions are welcomed.

Blog Entries
    Epoxy over deck stain is not a technique I am familiar with. He may be considering a product like Gulvit? Sherwin William's Deck and Dock acrylic stain is so thick I think of it as an elastomeric coating. I used it on a rough old deck and it made it look very nice. I will see if I can get an image of how it looks now that it is 3 years old. Behr makes a similar very thick deck resurfacer.

SuperDeck® Exterior Deck & Dock Coating - Sherwin-Williams

BEHR ADVANCED DeckOver® Waterproofing Coatings for Wood and Concrete | Behr
    Best Regards, Maurice

Look at the proven old tested method. The fact that most have “never heard of It” does not mean it doesn’t exist. Canvas glued down
    and painted. You can sprinkle in some coarse sand …of course to make it slip proof.

All new ideas are not good ideas.

I fought with deck coatings for years. The problem with paint type coating is they will peel. Then you have to sand or pressure wash off the remaining. I use a product called Ready Seal. It looks great and will not peel because it soaks in. The only downside is having to redo it every year or so. I spray on two coats with a bean sprayer. Quick and easy. If your wood is old you may have to pressure was first.
    Charlie Jones

Epoxy is not UV resistant, it needs to be overcoated with paint or varnish or it will break down in pretty short order. The guy who recommended it is not informed. If the bridge is made from PT then just use whatever cosmetic product you like. The PT is the real protection. I have untreated PT construction lumber sitting out in the weather that's 30+ years old and most of it is still fine.

John
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 05-10-2023 at 8:54 PM.