Thread: Removing wood filler in the future

Removing wood filler in the future

I just finished dry fitting some shelves with 1x4 cleats for a new pantry and I’m ready to paint the cleats to match the walls. I countersunk the screws with the plan to fill the holes before painting.

Just thinking about future potential renovations as well as other projects. What are the options to remove the cleats in the future if I don’t have access to the screws after filling and painting?

Is it possible to remove the filler for a clean removal?
    Last edited by Stephen McBride; 05-04-2023 at 4:57 AM.

Maybe use wood plugs, but don't glue them in. Might be easier to get out in the future. Also might tend to fall out in less humid seasons, but easier to remove when needed. And the paint might hold them in. Win/Win!?
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

Blog Entries
    I use finish nails for shelf cleats. I just did a closet re-do that was constructed with screws and spackled over. I did manage to get most of the screws out. A few had to be cut off with the angle grinder or grabbed with vicegrips after splitting away the 1 X 4. You could use button top plugs and glue them with school paste. Some ready-made wood shelf brackets come with button top plugs, which is where I learned the school paste rather than glue trick. Home made school paste = flower and water.

If you use Dap fast and final, vinyl spackle, window glazing, or lightweight joint compound to cover your screws it is fairly easy to dig out the filler and pound in a screw driver.

Screen Shot 2023-05-04 at 6.39.06 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-04-2023 at 7:52 AM. Reason: use soft filler
    Best Regards, Maurice

Yeah, looking back I should have done nails. First larger indoor project. Live and learn!

Blog Entries
    Go with Fast and Final spackling. A painter nicknamed it "air putty". A screw driver will punch right through it if the need ever arises.

May The Fourth Be With You
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-04-2023 at 9:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Go with Fast and Final spackling. A painter nicknamed it "air putty". A screw driver will punch right through it if the need ever arises.

May The Fourth Be With You
    Awesome, thanks for the recommendation!

Blog Entries
    Use wood plugs, they are easy to remove down the road by driving a screw through them against the head of the screw that holds them in place. The plug will pop right out. You can stain the plugs to match the finish of the cleat.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've used drywall joint compound which will just pop out if you poke it with a pointy object. But spackle sounds like a good idea too.
    < insert spurious quote here >