Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Anyone Know Where The Love Of God Goes?

Thanks for the music Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by mike calabrese View Post
    I would like to be the record company in heaven that signs Gordon Lightfoot and Jim Croce.
    The music alchemy they could create would be amazing.
    Carefree highway Let me slip away on you......enjoy the journey Gordon.
    calabrese55
    I'd add Harry Chapin to that group.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

There's a very interesting documentary on him, on Prime. He had his dark side too.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 05-04-2023 at 10:27 AM.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Have a "sort of" connection to him. My father used to babysit "little Gordy" from time to time in Orillia......when he was young and boarded at the Lightfoot's...
    Last edited by Barry McFadden; 05-04-2023 at 5:28 PM.

Just one of the most talented song writers ever. Plus his voice seemed perfect for the subjects of heartache, homesickness, etc.
    You can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train. So I'd best be on my way in the early morning rain. RIP

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Absolutely forgot all about Harry Chapin loved his song W.O.L.D
    calabrese55

I'll add JOHN PRINE to the list.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Just learned that all the proceeds from the song went to the families of the crew and Gordon attended every memorial service annually for the ship’s crew.

Our dog is a nervous pup; 4th of Julys, thunderstorms, and even leaving him at home alone can make him anxious.
    My wife’s first step in preparing him is always, “Alexa, play Gordon Lightfoot music.”

His music’s effect is universal.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Farewell Gordon Lightfoot, It would be cool to see you again...
    Agreed, RIP Gord.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Yes he will truly be missed. Saw a comment to a Youtube video on his passing. According to the comment
    "You might be interested to know that at 3 pm today the Mariner's Church in Detroit (that each and every year tolls 29 times for the men lost on the Edmund Fitzgerald) today tolled 30 times to include Gordon. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIq1ELxH2do

That's one of the coolest tributes I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    There's a very interesting documentary on him, on Prime. He had his dark side too.
    My wife and I watched the documentary last night, thanks for the heads up. He was a very talented and complicated man, and a beloved Canadian. I downloaded his Gord’s Gold album this morning and have been enjoying it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Rainy day people is a nice song. Cotton Jenny,

I've been a fan of his a long time.

PHM

It's amazing what you can do without fog machines, pyrotechnics, laser lights, being half-naked and auto-tuning if you have a good voice, play music with dynamic and tempo changes, along with well-crafted words!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Lived in Detroit - in the city itself, on the river, by Belle Isle - back in the day. Visited Mariners Church. I wonder if they did or will ring the bell 29 times to mark his death. That would be both fitting and a little spooky.

As a minor side note - the Fitz was not heading fully-loaded for Cleveland. She was going to Detroit, but he had problems making the meter and rhyme work

I also sailed Superior and all the other Great Lakes. As a Boy Scout. In a canoe. Not quite the same.

Edit: Ooops. Missed the fine print in Doug's post.
    We got to tour the S.S. Willam A. Irvin in Duluth in 1996. Our tour guide was a Radio Officer at Port Superior in 1975. He was on duty the night of November 9 and told the story of 40 foot high waves, 40 feet apart in a way that still sends chills. It made a big impact on us all. Our son did a history presentation for school on the topic for which he got an A+. We made a model of a Laker from balsa wood. It is still on the mantel.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    I like what Mr Lightfoot said in the National Interview "I want to stay happy no matter what happens, I want to stay happy" I hope he succeeded. Here is my ode to the trans Atlantic 14 foot Old Town wooden sail boat, accompanied by Gordon Lightfoot. (Again)

Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-24-2023 at 11:12 AM.