Flavor combining fail

On a whim, at the tipping point in the day between coffee and alcohol,

I put some sherry in the coffee.

I do not recommend this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    On a whim, at the tipping point in the day between coffee and alcohol,

I put some sherry in the coffee.

I do not recommend this.
    Can’t speak for sherry, but my Italian Grandmother had two coffees each with a shot of anisette every morning. She lived to 95.

Blog Entries
    When in doubt refer to the Irish regarding coffee (or any liquid).
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    When in doubt refer to the Irish regarding coffee (or any liquid).
    I used to enjoy an Irish Coffee or two when I was young and single in Berkeley.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My grandmother lived to be 93 and skipped the coffee. She hobbled to the fridge first thing every morning before anything else and downed a shot of whiskey. Other than that, remarkably, she was a t-totaller.

Personally when really cold and feeling sick, a pint of hot limeade, as hot as I can stand it with a couple tablespoons of honey. and a couple shots of vodka. Chug it down and 20 minutes later you don't care how you feel.

My grandparents kept the coffee just coffee but kept a keg of dark german beer and a kielbasi available at all times. Unfortunately this lead to cancer but they beat it with diet changes and both died in their late 70s

In Italy they call coffee with a shot of grappa (like brandy) "caffe corretto" meaning coffee corrected.
    < insert spurious quote here >

[QUOTE=Jim Koepke;3254838]I used to enjoy an Irish Coffee or two when I was young and single in Berkeley.

Brennens in Berkeley bought the cream in five gallon buckets for saint paddy's day.
    Bill D

Irish coffee was invented in San Francisco, so its really an American thing.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I used to enjoy an Irish Coffee or two when I was young and single in Berkeley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Brennens in Berkeley bought the cream in five gallon buckets for saint paddy's day.
    Bill D
    That is where I drank most of my Irish Coffees, though a few were had at their origin in San Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Irish coffee was invented in San Francisco, so its really an American thing.
    Yes, but it used Irish Whisky, Tullamore Dew, if my memory is working, was on the bottle at Brennen's.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    We do not really imbibe in any spirts stronger than beer and wine. This thread has me thinking I might just double the annual Jameson and Baileys quota from one bottle of each to two. Irish coffee being invented in San Fran is a little hard to believe. I think Richard Henry Dana had Irish coffee on his way around the tip of South America. When he got to San Fransisco there was nothing there but Indians and Buffalo hides.

Richard Henry Dana does not seem to be the correct author. I might be thinking of Edgar J. March or E. F. Knight... In a sailing book with stories from before 1900 coffee with whiskey was the reward for making it through the dog watch. I guess without cream and sugar That would not be a true Irish coffee.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-05-2023 at 7:48 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Darling is giving this a try. I find it shocking. Maybe it improves.

Photo on 5-7-23 at 7.16 PM.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

I know a bloke who grinds salt into his coffee...I don't recommend this either.

In a 1999 corporate class in Waukesha, WI, I met a guy and it was instant best friends. One weekend he, some students from Australia, NZ and Great Britain were having a party and invited me. The corporate condos were full and I was staying in a hotel 5 miles away. I turned down his invitation as I didn't want to drive back under the influence. The 3rd guy in our lab group from Denver, staying the same hotel said he didn't drink but would be happy to be my driver so we went. In a student lounge in one of the condos, we proceeded to consume some beer. After a while, my Kiwi friend also named Ken stated "You Yanks! Your beer tastes like horse piss!". I then asked him to explain how he knew what horse piss tasted like. 9 years later when I visited him in Christchurch he introduced me to Speights Gold Medal Ale, a scotch ale. Before that I drank whatever the wife brought home that was on sale at Costco. Since then, I have driven 430 miles round trip to Missoula, MT to buy Cold Smoke, scotch ale or I have driven 150 miles round trip to Waitsburg, WA for a a microbrewed scotch ale. Then some years ago, a microbrewery opened across the Snake River in Clarkston, Wa and it brews a really nice scotch ale, River Rat Red. I drink less than I used to but it costs me more. Sitting in the next room, my former home office, I have 10, 1/2 gallon growlers by default. 2 former friends sold their homes and moved to different places. They became beer snobs too and brought me their growlers to add to my colleciton.

BTW he spit beer when I asked him to explain his analogy!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-11-2023 at 1:33 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Pace View Post
    I know a bloke who grinds salt into his coffee...I don't recommend this either.
    My late Mother in law who died before our first anniversary (39+ years ago) always put a dash of salt in the percolator. Those were good cups of coffee!
    Best Regards, Maurice