Thread: AI Makes Computers Just Like People

Blog Entries

AI Makes Computers Just Like People

Just read an article about AI (Artificial Intelligence) and this line caught my eye:

These systems can generate untruthful, biased and otherwise toxic information. Systems like GPT-4 get facts wrong and make up information, a phenomenon called “hallucination.”
    That sounds a lot like some people I've met right down to the part about "hallucination."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I share your guarded approach vs. fully embracing AI. As an untrained observer, I get the (mis?)-perception that, at the moment, it's just a glorified internet "fact" checker. (Or worse, in the hands of the nefarious.)
    I suggest humanity would be better served if coaxed into researching and thinking things through for themselves. We have far too many contributing factors in the cognitive decline department as it is.

Jeff

It is not "intelligent", it simply browses through readily available information and creates an amalgam from everything, whether it's right or wrong.
    The old saying used to be GIGO, garbage in, garbage out. I'm sure someone will come up with a new slogan, QIHO question in, hallucination out ?
    I really don't know why people are so afraid of this. A system that gets facts incorrect and makes mistakes is no threat.

People become lawyers by browsing old case law, and they think they are intelligent, and if they learn how to use the old cases , they
    make a good living.

Blog Entries
    A system that gets facts incorrect and makes mistakes is no threat.
    Unless it is operating traffic signals
    or performing medical procedures on humans
    or is in charge of a military unit with large amounts of destructive equipment
    or delivering news and weather reports
    or designing highways, reservoirs and buildings
    and so many other examples.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I meant, it's not going to take over with it's current limitations. We have a long way to go before it replaces humans, at least the ones who actually use their heads.

It's as if people think we already have all the knowledge we'll ever need. Just ask the AI a question and it will give an answer but it can't give a 100% correct answer if all the information was input by humans who don't actually know everything. It's only as "smart" as we are.

I just read that a company, Chegg, that does homework assistance, (whatever the heck that is) dropped 40%. They're blaming it on ChatGPT
    https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/02/cheg...-business.html

Elon Musk says it’s dangerous. I believe him. He knows as much about it as anyone,and he has the means to set it up.

Lots of news outlets from both sides of the aisle reported this: I picked this one at random (sort of...it's not in the US)

Godfather of AI resigns from Google
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

During the last 7-8 decades or so both AI and I have gone from zero to whatever level of wisdom we have achieved. A child born today, by the time he is the age I am now, might be a pretty smart guy but it's going to take him that long to get there. Next year's AI will be "born" with all the capabilities of today's systems and can move forward from there. I cannot comprehend where AI will be in another 7-8 decades.