Thread: Upgrade my Bandsaw?

Upgrade my Bandsaw?

Let's start with my current band saw, a 14" King (Delta knock-off) using a 6" riser block. I know it's not optimal.
    My skill level is semi-skilled amateur, but I've surrounded myself with quality tools (so I can't blame them...) like SawStop and Veritas.
    I've commuted myself at my wife's urging, to some precision projects this summer; an Armoire, a pair of display tables and 2 dining and console tables. I've grown bored with "square" so I'm thinking of more flowing designs for the tables. I believe a quality band saw would make my project go smoother, Still, that may be tool lust on my part, but, still....
    My 3 choices are the Rikon 10-326, Laguna 14BX because of the 220V option, and the Harvey Ambassador C14.
    There's about $1000,00 between them, cost-wise, in Vancouver Canada.
    I've almost eliminated the Rikon, even though the delivery would be "free", because I would like a brake feature and better dust collection than what I have now.
    The Laguna seems a fine unit with a brake, but I'm concerned about robustness of the dust collection, and, the machine doesn't come with a blade. Up here, it's about $120.00 extra.
    The Harvey is WAY overkill for my skill set, but I understand the dust collection is superior to both others, it does have a blade included (yes, I know) and this week they seem to be on sale.
    Not really interested in the Grisly, I'm concerned about getting parts, plus the Rikon, Laguna and Harvey are within driving distance locally.
    Please, if you have experience with these machines, could you please help guide me?
    Aaron
    Last edited by Aaron Rosenthal; 04-30-2023 at 5:53 PM.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

What part of the project requires a larger, more powerful bandsaw?
    I only ask because you can do a lot with a 14" saw, especially if you upgrade it a little, it's certainly less than the cost of a new saw.
    Tires, guides, tension spring and a quality blade will do wonders.

Cobra spring made my 14" jet much better. Carter bearings instead of cool blocks is also a night and day difference. My wife tolerated those purchases, no way i was getting a new/another one.

Good luck on your decision!
    Chris

I have the Rikon 10-325 that I upgraded the bearings to that of the 326. I love this saw. I've never had any problem with it not having a brake, never saw the need for it. But, will tell you that the dust collection in the bottom cabinet is exceptional. Never had any accumulated amout of dust in it and I have used it a lot. Has enough power for my needs and I have resawn lumber up to 10" with it with no problem.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

If you're looking for more reviews of the Harvey C14, the same saw with different guides used to be sold as the Laguna LT 14 SUV. As for a brake, it's definitely nice to have, but is less important with 14" and smaller bandsaws because they coast to a stop so quickly anyway. It wasn't necessary on my 14" Delta, which had aluminum wheels. A saw with cast iron wheels would take a little longer to coast to a stop. Do you knkow anyone with any of the saws you're considering so you could check it out in person?

Let me answer the questions as they appeared:
    Yes, the projects I’m interested in doing could be done by this saw - the replacements I’m looking at are also
    14”. Short answer, is I want to make projects, not turn my saw into
    a project.
    The problem with the King, after using it for 4 years is the abysmal dust collection (I already have COPD), a finicky table, and a horrible fence system. It already has roller bearings so it’s not an issue. But, I really can’t tension it for anything larger than a 1/2” blade. Cast iron, rather than steel.
    The better saws have larger tables; more robust tilting systems; much more
    power and will take larger blades. While the brake is semi important, it’s the dust collection I’m more concerned with.
    While everyone is budget minded, myself included, I have a reserve fund that’s earmarked for a better band saw.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Get a bigger saw--at least 16".
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Unless you have a real reason to stick with a 14" saw I would agree with Andy. I would think about a larger saw. I went from a 14" like you have with a riser block to a 19" and there's no way I would ever go back to a 14" saw. It's just so much nicer to use.

I had a 17" Grizzly that I liked, but didn't love. Had some issues (fence wasn't perfectly square, motor crapped out after 5 years (though they did replace it free out of warranty, good on you Grizzly)). I sold it and bought the Laguna 14/12 and a resaw king blade. It works great and seemed like a steal for the money. I've used the Laguna 14BX at a community shop cutting 1/8" veneers for bent laminations and I would say that its like the 14/12 (excellent), but a more robust build and with more power. They have a legit dust collection system at the shop and it works great on the Laguna. I wouldn't hesitate with that one.

WRT the other two, I can't vouch, though probably all just fine for what you're doing.

Buy a used 16" steel spined saw with at least 3 hp. Patience will get you a far better saw than the 14" ones at the same price. The new saw will allow you to use at least 3/4" and probably 1" blades. With a carbide blade you will think you're in heaven when resawing.

Dust collection is as much about your DC as the dust ports on the saw. You need something on the order of 600 cfm through a central DC to do a good job when resawing stuff in the 12" range.

John

Having more than one bandsaw is a much easier way to work, more efficient and just simply easier. Having multiple bandsaws allows a whole lot less time consuming blade changes,. adjustments, etc. Consider what you would want to add to your current tool list instead of changing over. I use 10", 14", 16" and 20" bandsaws, with different blades and happy with the selection. I do not want to die with money in the bank and we are all running out of time so efficiency and convenience are important to me. The Delta 14" I purchased new way back in the 1970's and still going strong. The other saws were purchased used. The Grizzly showroom is approximately one hour from your location depending on border crossing times. They have all models on display with knowledgeable personnel to help you with decisions. Most important, have fun.

I'm using a Laguna 14 SUV, it's 220V & runs great, resaws fantastic with a good blade, dust collection works well. I can't compare it to other 14" saws but if was in the market to replace I'd go with another one.

I had the Jet 14" for a few years. Sold it to "upgrade" to a 20" Aggazani. I missed the fine curves with the thinner blades (1/8", 3/16",1/4"). I bought another Jet w/ 12" solid frame (vs riser block). When it came time to upgrade, I kept the Jet & got a 5hp 21" Grizzly & a 1" carbide tipped blade. Grizzly is about an hour from my house. I've bought several times from the warehouse/sales floor.