Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Power and hand together (2): we have cases!

Power and hand together (2): we have cases!

The target was to create mitred panels for two cases, which would form the basis for two night stands ...

And then they needed to me rebated at the rear ...

Finishing up with all these ...

Time to tape together ...

And glue up ..

We ended here ..

Today I made a template for the bow fronts, marked the curves , and used the bandsaw to remove most of the waste ...

I contemplated cleaning this up with spokeshaves, then came to my senses and used a trim router and flush trim bearing ...

And cleaned up with a HNT Gordon spokeshave ...

All the trouble at the start to make the mitres as clean and tight as possible. How did we do?

The rebates and mitres look good ...

And I like the bow fronts ...

Tight mitres too

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek,

Beautiful work! I've never tried the taped mitre joint technique. But the results do speak for themselves, (and the care you exercised in cutting the mitres).

What are the square openings in the sides for?

Best Regards,

DC

Hi Derek,

Looks amazing!

One question regarding the mitre joinery, is it just glue or did you use any other joinery? I am curious as I have been using this joinery for the last few cabinets and I added dominoes to reinforce the mitres.

Quote Originally Posted by David Carroll View Post
    Hi Derek,

…. What are the square openings in the sides for?

Best Regards,

DC
    David, the openings are for drawers. Tiny drawers.

Just a little bit of interest in what otherwise is a simple piece. Hopefully the base will be interesting as well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    Hi Derek,

Looks amazing!

One question regarding the mitre joinery, is it just glue or did you use any other joinery? I am curious as I have been using this joinery for the last few cabinets and I added dominoes to reinforce the mitres.
    Mitres do not need reinforcing. There is a great deal of wives tails in this regard. They are capable of remaining tight without anything more than glue. I used Old Brown hide glue. The tape prevents leakage, and the glue cleans up on the inside with water.

Biscuits (splines) and dominos (mortice and tenons) are used in these situations for positioning and avoiding slipping while drying. In this case the tape takes care of this.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Mitres do not need reinforcing. There is a great deal of wives tails in this regard. They are capable of remaining tight without anything more than glue. I used Old Brown hide glue. The tape prevents leakage, and the glue cleans up on the inside with water.

Biscuits (splines) and dominos (mortice and tenons) are used in these situations for positioning and avoiding slipping while drying. In this case the tape takes care of this.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I used to think that, also, until I had a project take a hit and a glued miter came apart. Not all apart, but one joint opened up. Ever since then, I've reinforced miter joints with something, such as a biscuit or two. Never had a miter joint that was reinforced come apart.

Mike

[Added: Glue was Titebond.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-02-2023 at 8:39 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, you know the saying, "one swallow does not make a summer"? It is likely that you had glue starvation in the mitre, causing it to fail.

This is a good video by Patrick Sullivan ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike, you know the saying, "one swallow does not make a summer"? It is likely that you had glue starvation in the mitre, causing it to fail.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I would agree with this for todays world. Furniture in a controlled environment. An end to end joint joint in an uncontrolled environment is doomed to failure. The constant expansion and contraction of the wood across the grain is the issue. I would glue end to end or even a mitre for a piece in a controlled environment but would definitely assess the risk for a piece for the patio.
    Jim

I have a very old captain’s desk with a similar “tiny drawer”. It’s a pen drawer that pulls out, then hinges alongside the desk.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I can absolutely assure you it was not glue starvation. A 45 degree miter joint is simply not as strong as a long-grain to long-grain glue joint.

Adding some type of spline to the joint adds strength.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    This is interesting… Thanks for the video, Derek.

I have been using miter joinery even for drawers as I like the aesthetics better than dovetails. I have always used dominoes as reinforcements and based on this video it sounds like it is a good idea for the drawers but may be not so much for the wider cabinet joinery. I will probably continue to use dominoes even for wider joints just in case…

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Adding some type of spline to the joint adds strength.

Mike
    Unnecessarily so, Mike. End grain to end grain is TWICE as strong as long grain to long grain glue ups.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I watched the video. It is pitiful that someone who doesn't understand the first thing about wood would arrogate himself an expert.

The first thing is that wood has a strong direction and a weak direction. We depend on this strong direction when designing joinery, furniture and buildings. The test he should be doing is an endgrain to endgrain joint compared to no joint at all. In this test his joint would fail miserably.

In a side grain to side grain joint we can join two boards without a great difference between the joined board and a solid board. An end grain joint is very different

I'd like to see him saw a hickory shovel handle across the grain, glue it back together, and then try to shovel with it. And I can assure you that a shovel handle made with the grain going crosswise instead of lengthwise would not hold up, whether it breaks at the glue joints or in between.

Warren, do you EVER accept that anyone other than yourself has information of value? Even when something is demonstrated?

With regards to the video, it has been out for quite some time, and referenced by many knowledgeable woodworkers. Surely, you would think, someone would have criticised its research design by now?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Warren, do you EVER accept that anyone other than yourself has information of value? Even when something is demonstrated?

With regards to the video, it has been out for quite some time, and referenced by many knowledgeable woodworkers. Surely, you would think, someone would have criticised its research design by now?
    This Sullivan guy reminds me of the old joke about an artist who is told by a doctor that he is taking up painting in his retirement. She says "I am going to be a brain surgeon when I retire".

How in the world was I able to sniff out that this guy wasn't even a woodworker?