Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Power and hand together (2): we have cases!

It's usually Derek firing the machine gun at others... (although in fairness, not very often)
    I was on the wrong end of it once when Derek went into similar attack mode, similar to what happened to him on this thread. Yes, its uncalled for, but I guess it's Karma also.

Regardless, I watched that video years ago. As an engineer, its hard not to see value in his testing methodology, technique and equipment. It's a free youtube video, it does not cover every possible scenario, wood type, glue type, force angle, aging, etc. Assuming his test values are honest and accurate (no reason to suspect otherwise), it's hard not acknowledge the conclusion the video revealed. Breaking (or not) at the glue line is not what was relevant, it was the relative force values that was determinative.
    Last edited by Will Blick; 06-10-2023 at 7:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    It's usually Derek firing the machine gun at others... (although in fairness, not very often)
    I was on the wrong end of it once when Derek went into similar attack mode, similar to what happened to him on this thread. Yes, its uncalled for, but I guess it's Karma also.

Regardless, I watched that video years ago. As an engineer, its hard not to see value in his testing methodology, technique and equipment. It's a free youtube video, it does not cover every possible scenario, wood type, glue type, force angle, aging, etc. Assuming his test values are honest and accurate (no reason to suspect otherwise), it's hard not acknowledge the conclusion the video revealed. Breaking (or not) at the glue line is not what was relevant, it was the relative force values that was determinative.
    Will, I welcome debate, and disagreeing is part of this. It makes for learning when arguments are backs with facts and examples, rather than just unsubstantiated opinion. I would hardly call being attacked “karma” - is it my earned retribution?

I believe that we move forward when we try something new. Doing this blindly is foolhardy. Having enough evidence in support is relevant. Taking the first step may be brave. When it works, others come along and state that they knew about it for years.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Now that the end grain glue joint clouds have drifted off over the lake, a simple question, Derek: is that packing tape you used to align the miters? I tried packing tape once and it very slightly pulled some fibers up upon removal, so I switched to blue painters tape. I'm sure you have a reason for the packing tape, if in fact that is what it is. Curious what that might be. Perhaps simply to be able to see that the joint is correct during assembly?
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Bill, it depends on the wood. I imagine the worst woods for tape are those with open grain, such as Oak. Closed grained woods, such as Cherry and Maple would fare better.

In my case, the Tasmanian Oak is open grain and a very tiny amount of fibre was pulled up. Nothing of relevance - a few swipes with sandpaper removed all evidence. If you have any concerns, I am sure that you would pull it off very easily if you first warmed it with a hair dryer.

This packing tape is much stronger than blue tape and has less stretch. That is why I used it.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I wonder if the tape pulled too many fibers out of the wood if you could start with a layer of blue tape and then to buttress this with the packing tape to avoid stretching and add strength. I've never tried the tape method but I am interested in it. I normally use a picture framing vise and miter clamps.

DC

David, try on a test piece and report your findings here.

Regards from Perth

Derek