Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood flooring questions

Wood flooring questions

My wife and I are planning on replacing the 1950's strip flooring in our living room. @ 360 sq ft. 1/4" thick 2" wide strip faced nailed to 1 x 6's that are diagonally across the floor joists. Plan is to remove the strip, remove all the nails, have someone screw, 2 per 1 x 6, into the joists to eliminate any movement in the subfloor.

Don't want to use engineered flooring, prefer to use 3/4" solid with a vapor barrier on the 1 x 6's and install the floor 90 degrees to the joists.

Looking at Maple, select or better grade, and trying to get the best bang/quality for the buck. One of these prefinished options is coming in @ $9.20 sq ft for material only.c I can purchase unfinished for $5.69 plus freight, but then I have to have it stained and sealed at additional expense. Would they sand a new floor install before stain and finish? Some of the prefinish claims a 50 year warranty which would outlive me.

Not sure I can save enough money on the unfinished version with the additional costs and what level of quality vs the prefinished? My brain tells me the factory applied finish would always be a higher level of quality and since I am only doing 360 sq ft, not much of a cost savings when it is all said and done.

Appreciate any input.

Brian
    Brian

AFAIK, if it's not prefinished, you'll be sanding before stain and finish. So that labor/equipment component has to be part of the cost comparison between the pre-finished and the raw wood options.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Most prefinished I have seen have beveled edges to catch dust. I prefer a floor to be flat not grooved. IF you sand get the orbital not belt sander
    Bill D

There are some LVP’s that actually have a layer of wood in them that shows. You get tight smooth joints, unlike prefinished wood, and could even stick close to your original floor thickness, plus other advantages.

Edited to add: I think this actually goes under the engineered wood category, but joints are almost as tight as LVP. I saw some in a hospital lab room, took pictures, and found it on the internet when I got home that day, but can't find it now. I do remember it was very expensive, but very impressive.

Edited to add again: I think this is it.

https://www.hursthardwoods.com/10-1-.../engfonat1034/
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-30-2023 at 12:42 PM.

Even with the best equipment, sanding and finishing in place makes an incredible mess, and is often very stinky as well, depending on the finish used. Then you have to stay off the floor until the finish is fully or at least mostly cured. And in my opinion, no in-home finish will ever be as durable as the UV cured al-ox containing finish used on high quality pre-finished hardwood. It's true as Bill states that most PF hardwood has beveled edges, but many have micro-bevels that are barely noticeable after installation and are not deep enough to trap dirt or dust. But if you want an absolutely flat floor with no detectable bevels between planks, you have to go the sanding and in-place finish route.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Most prefinished I have seen have beveled edges to catch dust. I prefer a floor to be flat not grooved. IF you sand get the orbital not belt sander
    Bill D
    Bill, I have the skills to do it, but I am too damn old to! Brian
    Brian

I used 3/4" hickory in my home's great room. Random width, T&G flooring. Nailed through the toung with a flooring nailer every 6" or so. My floor is 12" BCI's on 16 centers, with 3/4" OSB sub flooring. I also used construction adhesive under the hickory. The downside to solid flooring is expansion/contraction and it's not a simple install. I can't imagine trying to install it over 1X's. I would just install 3/4" OSB subflooring over your 1X6's, or pull those up too, and lay the sheeting on your joists. After the flooring is nailed down, the fun starts. Several passes with a walk behind drum sander to get it level, then walk behind orbital/vibratory sander, then a floor polisher. Once the floor is level, sanded smooth, and all dust removed (a chore in itself), it gets stained. A hard clear top coat is then applied. I used the same stuff used on basketball courts. After doing this floor with real wood, I used engineered wood downstairs. The engineered stuff is 10X easier to install. It floats, so you don't have to worry too much about expansion/contraction issues, and it's a lot less costly overall. Downside, is it doesn't look as nice, feels different when walking on it, and the top layer is only 1/8" thick or so. If you ding it by dropping something on it, well, you can't really fix it by sanding it out.

I dunno, if I were you, I'd probably just wander through a flooring store and see what's new. Get some type of faux wood tyle that will hold up to abuse and is simpler to install than wood. But - nothing looks as good as a real wood floor though.

20100705-P7056289.jpg

20100705-P7056286.jpg

I edited my first post in this thread. I think this is the flooring I was impressed with in a hospital lab.

https://www.hursthardwoods.com/10-1-.../engfonat1034/

I've mostly done conventional hardwood and site finished it myself. With modern WB catalyzed finished like Bona Traffic HD you get an incredibly durable finish with virtually no odor. Their Amber Seal product will make it look more like an oil based finish. I like to do a "picture frame" pattern in the floor with contrasting wood to make a border around the room. More work but it really looks nice.

In my son's kitchen because of the very small area I used a pre-finished solid maple that had square corners, no bevels or microbevels. It looks pretty good, not quite what you can get with site finishing, but unless you're a flooring guy you wouldn't see the difference. Not many choices with the square corners but I think the beveled corners look awful.
    I bought most of our flooring for the last couple houses from a no longer in business mill in Traverse City Michigan. They gave me great birdseye maple for about $4.50/sf a decade ago, plain maple for about $2.50/sf, and for the shop, "mixed domestic hardwoods" for a buck a foot. Truck freight at the time was only a couple hundred bucks for a whole house worth of flooring. Finishing products ran another dollar/sf.

Laying it and finishing it is a lot of work. Being young and strong is a real asset.

Here's a picture of the mixed species on the shop floor immediately after it was finished.

20120614-DSC_3721.jpg

Michael, I don't have the height in the room vs firebox height to add underlayment. Brian

I had to go the Nevada to get good oil based floor varnish. when i refinished my front room. Same to get oil based aluminized roof coating for over roll on roofing.
    BilL D

I installed this at the home that I used to be in. It is very durable and good looking. The hickory is a mixture of light and dark. It seems like I recall you being in an area with access to Menards. This is made here in the United States. I know you mentioned maple but this is worth a look IMHO.

https://www.menards.com/main/floorin...0944254&ipos=4

Ditto on what Roger said. I don’t care how good the finish is on a prefinished floor if it has grooves that trap dirt—and don’t seal the strips together. A simple spill can quickly wick between the boards, and stain the wood under the factory finish—there’s no finish below the bevel or “micro-bevel.”
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    Bruce make some very good pre-finished 3/4 inch solid nail down flooring. I install lots of it. I have not had complaints about the micro bevel. Spills and sloppy plant watering have caused damage in houses with Bruce pre-finished as well as in houses with installed raw, sanded, and varnished in place floors. Nail down flooring is becoming a thing of the past. "Floor covering" is the new normal. I am looking into the floating wood floor covering with the metal clips for an upcoming project.

https://youtube.com/shorts/THYUnR6A0EM?feature=share
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-01-2023 at 12:08 PM. Reason: fix typo
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Bruce make some very good pre-finished 3/4 inch solid nail down flooring. I install lots of it. I have not had complaints about the micro bevel. Spills and sloppy plant watering have cause damage in houses with Bruce pre-finished as well as in houses with installed raw, sanded, and varnished in place floors. Nail down flooring is becoming a thing of the past. "Floor covering" is the new normal. I am looking into the floating wood floor covering with the metal clips for an upcoming project.

https://youtube.com/shorts/THYUnR6A0EM?feature=share
    I ran into s floor once that was installed similar to that.
    Heavy wire was laid on the floor and pieces of flooring with narrow dados were pressed onto the wires.

I had to tear out a section and replace it with nail down T&G.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon