Thread: Need help with a coffin plane

Blog Entries

Need help with a coffin plane

I was gifted this plane a number of years ago in a secret Santa gift exchange on a woodworking forum. I have used it a number of times, but not excessively. I went to use it today and it didn't want to take a thin shaving. I tried adjusting the depth of cut and it seemed that the blade was extending out the sole more than it should, but when I reduced that it wouldn't cut at all on a surface wider than the plane. When I took a cut on the edge of a 5/4 board (1" actual), It would cut just fine and remove a thin shaving, but the same adjustment wouldn't take a cut on wide surface. I took some photos of the plane. This plane has an adjustable mouth.
    IMG_8515.jpgIMG_8516.jpgIMG_8517.jpgIMG_8518.jpg

I noted that the center portion of the plane sits slightly below the purple heart sides. You can sort of see the difference in this photo.
    IMG_8531.jpg

So the question is, how do I fix this without messing up the plane?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee, that plane was made by Steve Knight somewhere around 2010. He built a wide range of planes for about a decade, with some really solid, Japanese-inspired infills, along with a line of laminated woodies. These were all single blade and often with adjustable mouths. Steve was not the most organised fellow (but an absolutely lovely guy), and was always playing catchup. To sell more he turned to CNC (this was really at the start up of CNC, so it was not sophisticated at all), and the fit of the parts was not great. He began making kits, of which I think I still have one. I recall having to do quite a bit of work to sort it out. His blades, which he made himself, were stupendous - often 1/4” thick.

Basically, what you have is a kit. Level off the sole on sandpaper-on-glass and use it.

Here is a link to an interview with Steve: https://www.handplane.com/173/interv...-steve-knight/

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Lee, that plane was made by Steve Knight somewhere around 2010.
    I couldn't recall his name, but you are correct, though I think it was much earlier than 2010 when I received it.

I do use the scary sharp method of sharpening plane irons and chisels so I do have a 3/8" glass plate with various grits of sand paper mounted on it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    An additional question. I know that I can advance the iron by tapping on the back of the iron. How can it be retracted a small amount without disassembly?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    An additional question. I know that I can advance the iron by tapping on the back of the iron. How can it be retracted a small amount without disassembly?
    Tap lightly on the heel of the plane, then tap the wedge to secure it at the new setting. It'll take some tries to get used to it.

Blog Entries
    I removed the iron and spent about 5 minutes with some sandpaper on glass and the sole is completely flat and the plane is once again cutting 0.0015 inch thick shavings all the way across on wider boards.

Thanks everyone.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!