Thread: Wooden hinge trial and error

Wooden hinge trial and error

Was in need of a couple small brass hinges for a pencil box. All I looked at the hinge barrel was thicker than the two combined hinge leaves. My pencil box has an overhanging lid which would require either a hinge leaf let in deeper than the leaf is thick or a mortise cut for the hinge barrel for the lid to sit flat on the box.

Then remembered a Hingecrafter wood hinge drilling jig I received as a Christmas present and never used. Had everything else I needed so I set out to quickly make a couple wood hinges for the box having never made a wood hinge before. That turned out to be a frustrating two day learning experience. The first several hinges I made all looked really good but would not close flat and would bind hard when opening from an almost fully closed position. The bind even snapped a hinge barrel on one try. Reversed my hinge making process thinking I was moving the wood when machining. That resulted in little chips of wood being torn off the hinge barrel edges.

Put the project away until another day. With a fresh mind I was able to see the problems. The hinge leaves needed to be about two hundredths thinner than the second cut of the round over bit. The slots between the hinge barrels needed to be slightly deeper than the diameter of the hinge barrel. Not much but one and a half hundredths was enough after trial and error. More would not hurt but a smaller gap looked better to me.

Finally ended up with enough stock milled for several small good working wood hinges. Thankful that I was using small thin pieces of wood not much good for anything else as I went through quite a bit of wood trying to get a good hinge. Even had a good hinge shift in the drilling jig from not being clamped tight enough resulting in the hinge pin holes off center at one end of the leaf.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Robert,

Thanks for sharing your learning. It looks like you now master the process; the hinges look good!

Out of curiosity, what is the drilling jig you are referring to?

Regards,

Jacques

I hope it's this one!

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....after-jig-Sold!

I have a feeling I'll need all the help and advice I can get...
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

The jig Rich linked to is the same one I used. Not sure I could drill a straight enough 1/8" hole as long as a hinge needs without the Hingecrafter jig. Maybe there are other jigs out there but the Hingecrafter one does an excellent job.

However, it is not as easy as just pushing a drill bit through the jig holes though. There is very little room for chips on the twist portion of a 1/8" drill bit. Pack the flutes with chips and the bit gets hot and starts to wander, even using the jig. A few of my pile of mistakes included some of these. I finally started drilling a 1/4" at most before retracting the bit to clear the bit flutes.

I used four different woods in my trials. Cherry, hard maple, Honduras mahogany and a wood we call Yellow Poinciana- peltophorum dubium. All machined well and would have made nice hinges. The maple was the one I chipped all the hinge barrel edges. For this one I cut the slots before using the roundover bit, mistake. Machine the roundover or barrels first.

The second pass of the roundover bit leaves a narrow, about 1/4" wide, flat on the hinge leaf that is supposed to be the guide for thinning the rest of whatever size leaf you want. Using a Whiteside bit that left the hinge leaf a couple hundredths too thick. This caused the hinge to not be able to close flat. Not by much but enough to cause a problem. Solved that by running the leaf thinning bit right up to the edge of the hinge barrels without touching the barrels.

The depth of the notch between each hinge barrel needs to be slightly deeper than the diameter of the hinge barrel or the hinge will bind when closed. I kept the gap to about .015 because I thought it looked better but a wider gap does not hurt the function of the hinge. I intentionally cut one blank deeper just to try it.

BTW, the hinge size I was making was 3/8" diameter barrel. I can post pictures of each of my trial errors if my descriptions are not making the mistakes clear enough, just ask.

I was going to by this jig a while back but found this video. I have made several hinges and claps using this method
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3foxwJQRd60