Thread: A little Inlay work

A little Inlay work

This is a beech and Sapele cutting board I made for a friend and inlayed the first letter of his last name into. Doing this by hand would have been a daunting task, one I likely would never try, but with the CNC it's a very simple process. I followed the directions on Garrett Fromme's YouTube video on the topic. Perfect.

I plan, someday, to try some inlay work on a furniture project. I'm not into Federal, etc. style furniture which has lots of inlay work, but I'm sure I'll come up with a project where one or more inlays will be appropriate.

John

Very nice, John!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's really impressive work!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks, but there isn't much skill required to click the buttons on a mouse. You can do very cool things on the CNC, but it's often high-end woodworking with no woodworking skills, as evidenced by many YouTubers.

John

Not sure how I missed your post, but that's nice work John. Looking forward to doing some stuff like that.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Thanks, but there isn't much skill required to click the buttons on a mouse. You can do very cool things on the CNC, but it's often high-end woodworking with no woodworking skills, as evidenced by many YouTubers.

John
    I disagree, there is a different set of skills needed to click a mouse.
    Your project looks good and whether or not clicking the mouse was difficult for you, you needed to choose the wood, the font, the size/proportions, etc.
    Some people with the best machines money can buy can do what you just did.
    nice work

John Ive only tried this once and my plug didnt fit. What bit did you run this with?

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    John Ive only tried this once and my plug didnt fit. What bit did you run this with?

Hi George. I used a 1/4" 90 degree V-bit. Watch Garrett Fromme's YouTube video on inlays. He demonstrates it by inlaying a feather. The file to do that is free to download, too.

And here's something interesting. I actually got the settings backwards. I used the settings for the plug on the board, and those for the board to make the plug. But as you can see, it came out perfect anyway. Sometimes you get lucky.

John

This is a beech and Sapele cutting board I made for a friend and inlayed the first letter of his last name into. Doing this by hand would have been a daunting task, one I likely would never try, but with the CNC it's a very simple process. I followed the directions on Garrett Fromme's YouTube video on the topic. Perfect.
    John, is this the video that you are referring to? One of the projects I may do later this year is a commemorative plaque and inlay might be a nice touch.

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    John, is this the video that you are referring to? One of the projects I may do later this year is a commemorative plaque and inlay might be a nice touch.

Thanks!

Yes, that's the one. Very helpful.

John