Thread: Bought a hand plane

Bought a hand plane

A little history first.

I stopped in at the Woodcraft store in Bloomington Min. ( Minneapolis area ) when going on Vacation. While on vacation I decided to buy the Wood River #1 they had at the store. Flew back to Minneapolis at the end and stopped back in the Bloomington store to buy it but it was sold. Being a veteran Woodcraft stores give me a 10% discount. I have never tried for a discount from the catalog, I just get tired of jumping through hoops.

Anyway I checked their catalog price and without the discount and the added shipping cost the total was about, and I say about, $40 higher than getting it in the store. So I decided to wait. In early Nov. I got a deal from Woodcraft for it at about $149 shipped, so I ordered it and paid for it from PayPal. The money was, at that time, withdrawn from my account at that time. Stupid me, if I would have used a credit card, no money would have been charged until shipped. If something would have happened I could have been out my money. Things happen. Anyway Woodcraft is a very reliable company.

Along about Feb-March I got a song and dance email that they hadn't forgot and then in the 3 of April I got a n email saying that it was on Back order as of April 3rd. I was going to call them about that email. I mean back ordered April 3 when I paid for it back in Nov. of the preceding year, give me a brake. Last Monday I got an email saying it had shipped. Then an email from UPS with the tracking Number. Then an email saying it would be delivered Friday between 11:00 and 2:00. Well at 5:00 still no package. I went to see if it had been delivered and had an email saying by 7PM.

This morning I got another UPS email saying it had been rescheduled for Monday between 11:00 and 2:00. I am not going to hold my breath.

I know thing have been in a disarray with covid and all, but 6 months? It is lucky I am a patient person and basically forgot about it off and on. Even that gets easier after a while. Age doesn't help the memory either.

Moral of the story, I didn't need the #1, I just wanted it. Need and want are two different things, I should have bought the thing when I was in the store the first time and saved myself a lot of hassles. So Basically between Sept of 2022 and now I have been trying to get the #1. And still don't have it. I only hope that there is nothing wrong with it. With my luck it will be damaged and I will have to send it back.

Moral of the story: With the way things are in America and the world today, when you see it just buy it.

I hope you enjoyed the read.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    I have had similar experiences and learned from them as well. Gone are the days when you could just "pick up another one" months or even years later. When I see something I want I go for it. If it is a consumable that I use often and will store long term, I buy a bunch. I got tired of trying to get "another one" only to find out they are no longer available.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    One program that used to be on my watch list is American Pickers. Mike Wolfe is one of the people on the show. He often said, "the time to buy it is when you see it." This has been driven home to me a few times at flea markets and yard sales.

Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen have earned my appreciation for showing on their web pages when an item is "limited quantities" or out of stock. A recent order from LV indicated one item was "limited quantities." My expectation was it might not ship by the time my order was processed. According to the email sent at shipment, it did.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Tom,

Good point and good advise. I have not had your exact experience, but have lost several really good opportunities because I waited. I think the example listed above by Jim, is also right on the money. "The time to buy it is when you see it."

Regards,

Stew

Hmmm..this is the same size as the No. 1......
    Stanley No. 65 Block Plane .JPG
    Except, it has an adjustable mouth.....Stanley No. 65...1905 version.....$10?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Yes I know that, I have several block planes, several are NO. 65s. I just want a #1. Is there any reason why I can't buy a #1 if I want to?
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    Yes I know that, I have several block planes, several are NO. 65s. I just want a #1. Is there any reason why I can't buy a #1 if I want to?
    In my opinion you should buy one, especially if you want one. Besides, block planes do not have chip breakers. There are times when my #1 is put to use because a block plane is not the best tool too do the job.

If my memory is working a #1 has a 1-1/4" blade and the #65 has a 1-5/8" blade (#60 planes have a 1-3/8" blade). WoodRiver specs say 1-13/64", close enough.

It is like the difference between a standard jack plane and a low angle jack plane. Often one works better for a particular job than the other.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I finally got it safe and sound yesterday. It is a neat little bugger.
    Tom

Tom,

Very cool, Congrats even if it took a while to get it!

Stew

Blog Entries
    Good news about it finally arriving. There are somethings that it is the right sized plane to use.

Have you tried it out on anything?

I like mine for small work:

Smoothing Saw Marks.jpg

Here it is smoothing some saw marks in a piece of ebony used for targets on a pair of winding sticks.

jtk