Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife's "Forever end table"

My wife's "Forever end table"

As I said in another post, I saw a similar end table online, mentioned to my wife and she said "I want one!". In 54 years a marriage, to the same woman I might add, it's been my observation that "give her what she wants" goes a long ways towards peace in our home.

Seriously, I made more mistakes in this end table than in all my other projects, but I also tried a lot of new techniques and learned a lot! The pullout drawer on this has a curved front that mimics the curve in the top. The door rails and stiles are thicker than the front, chamfered at 45º and protrude outwards to give a depth to the front. The flip up portion of the top hides a chamber that has a surge protector with 3 AC outlets and 3 USB outlets and allows the cords to be hidden within it. At the back of the end table is a magazine rack.

Things I learned? The next time I try a curved front a drawer, I will attempt bending so as not to expose so much end grain and if I don't I will try filling the end grain before staining and finishing. The narrow trim on the two sides was a last minute rescue to cover the ends of a 1/4" miter in which the interior vertical panel is situated. It separates the interior shelf area from the magazine rack and power chamber. The interior shelf is height adjustable. The finish is an oil based Minwax fast drying poly over a Varathane oil based special Walnut stain.

A lot of mistakes, a lot of learning. I am a rank amateur seeking to learn. I have so much to learn, so little time.

The photo taken in the shop was to demonstrate the thickness and chamfer on the door.

Comments and critiques always welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-28-2023 at 10:41 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nice job Ken. I like the hidden charging compartment and the pull out coaster tray. Interesting how the lighting changes the surface appearance. When I looked at the 7th pic at first I thought it was another table because of the orange hue. Shouldn't that brass tag be somewhere on the front?

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    Shouldn't that brass tag be somewhere on the front?
    Shirley you jest?
    Ken

Blog Entries
    Nice work Ken, I still learn things on almost every project. In fact I'm learning a lot about staining on the project I'm working on now.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    What a great little table Ken and a perfect fit. I always say that if I am not making mistakes I am not trying new things. Well done.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Nice, Ken. And I also really like the hidden charging compartment.

And great choice for a wife's name. I highly recommend it. My Sharon has lasted 39 years with me so far.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Nice work, Ken. I really like that curved drawer front. And you're right, there's some opportunity for future improvement, maybe even on this project. I would build a new door. The grain on the right stile is a major mismatch to the other frame members, and the grain on the panel is upside down. Chevrons should always point up. So if you're up for it, you could make a new door with nice rift sawn stiles and rails and new center panel.

John

Well done Ken! You have a lot packed into that table, it will get plenty of use...sort of like the Swiss Army knife of end tables! Is that a pullout tray for beverages? AC outlet for my lamp, USB outlets for my cell phone, lap top, and a magazine rack for Fine Woodworking. I am set.

Ken you asked for critique which I don't like t do because us amateurs seem to always have things we would have done differently. I agree with John on the grain mix.

I am finishing up a "Forever" dresser. Many things I learned that I would do differently if I had to do it again. Each piece gets better as you reflect on you previous pieces It's all part of it!

Over all it is a very nice piece!

John and Ron, thank you for the critiques! Frankly, I agree with your analysis. I built this from left overs from some previous projects. I will see if I have more 10/4 or 12 quarter red oak and a piece wide enough to make a new panel. If I do have the material, I believe I will build a new door. Thanks again for the honest critiques! I can improve through both the critiques from others and myself.
    Ken

Love it Ken. With our 60th coming up next year, and a wife who has also expressed interest in one like that, it's time I get busy.

One small item, if you decide to redo the door, I would put the magnetic latch on the stile just under the shelf, where it will not interfere with putting things on the bottom shelf.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Nice work Ken! Glad my wife doesn't see forums like these and give her ideas about what I should be making in the shop.

Ken, my wife wants one too! And I am sure your wife is pleased with the results. Do not modify it. The craftsmanship shows. Your love for your wife shows.
    Last edited by Mark Rainey; 05-01-2023 at 6:23 PM.

Good job, Ken. For that drawer, don't do bending. Make a drawer front the way you did, but then glue a piece of veneer (maybe shop cut about 1/16") to the drawer front. That will give you continuous grain, without the end grain. Much easier than bending.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Nicely done Ken. I agree with the comments about the door. The charging station is great, and the pull out drink shelf will be very handy.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.