Thread: AGET Dustkop Dust Collector - Worth anything?

AGET Dustkop Dust Collector - Worth anything?

Hey guys,

New to the forum - sorry if I seem lost at times...

I have recently acquired an old AGET Dustkop Dust Collector (I would attach pics but it won't let me for some reason - do I need to pay for that option?). I am trying to decide if it is worth keeping and modifying or if I should get rid of it and buy new equipment. It is Model No. 8C50 / Serial No. 6154. I got the unit from an old high school workshop (I am a Teacher). I am a hobby woodworker and I do have some larger equipment in my shop - Delta tablesaw, Delta bandsaw, Planer, Jointer, Router table, etc. Ideally, I would really like to have a new impeller/blower and a Super Dust Deputy in there. I have been using the smaller DD for years and it works great, but with my table saw, planer, and Jointer I need to upgrade to something larger.

Does anyone have any experience with these old Dustkop systems? It is a push-through setup - do these cyclones work as well as the Super DD? I do like that the impeller blades are metal. One other issue is the unit has a 3-phase motor (Leeson). So I would have to figure out how to convert that. I would also have to create my own collection bin for it and then possibly exhaust the other end outside the shop or maybe attach a canister filter on top (It looks like it originally had a bag filter on top but I do not have the bag). I know this is hard without pictures - if I am missing something there please let me know and I will try to add them.

Think this is worth the modification effort or would I be better off selling the unit and putting the money towards a new impeller and Super DD? Any input/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ok, I think maybe these pictures will work - this will give you a better idea of what I have.

Screenshot 2023-04-28 6.03.14 PM.jpgScreenshot 2023-04-28 6.03.52 PM.jpgScreenshot 2023-04-28 6.06.17 PM.jpg

Even though it's 3-phase, the motor is really tiny at only 3/4HP. You could get a VFD to drive the motor (as long as it's wired for 240V) for about $160 or so:

https://www.ato.com/1hp-vfd

In the end, it is likely going to be better than a shopvac, but the performance is nothing to get excited about. An equivalent modern product that equals the AGET is this 3/4HP Rockler:

https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-r...lector-650-cfm

So, ultimately, it's up to you how much work you want to put into this. Keep your eye on Craigslist. There are often used dust collectors with bigger 1.5HP or 2HP motors that you can use for a Super Dust Deputy. Just keep in mind these will likely require 20A 120V circuits or 240V.

Quote Originally Posted by David J Ross View Post
    Hey guys,New to the forum - sorry if I seem lost at times...
    Welcome To The Forum!

I have recently acquired an old AGET Dustkop Dust Collector.
    Does anyone have any experience with these old Dustkop systems?
    I have a smaller one that I originally was going to use with a carbide grinder, but those plans changed. Here's a link
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ust-Collection to my old post about it.

I am trying to decide if it is worth keeping and modifying or if I should get rid of it and buy new equipment.
    I think that style of collector (like my AGET) is normally used as a metal-dust collector! It will still work for wood/sawdust, but I don't think it's as efficient.

It is a push-through setup - do these cyclones work as well as the Super DD?
    From what I've read the Dust Deputy or cyclone style separators will work with either a push-through or pull-through setup!

The problem with a push-through setup is the impeller comes in contact with the dust/debris in the first stage of the collection! If you accidently happen to cut through a small nail or staple, that small piece of metal hitting the impeller could cause a spark which could possibly start a fire in the collection bin.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    Welcome To The Forum!

I have a smaller one that I originally was going to use with a carbide grinder, but those plans changed. Here's a link
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ust-Collection to my old post about it.

I think that style of collector (like my AGET) is normally used as a metal-dust collector! It will still work for wood/sawdust, but I don't think it's as efficient.

From what I've read the Dust Deputy or cyclone style separators will work with either a push-through or pull-through setup!

The problem with a push-through setup is the impeller comes in contact with the dust/debris in the first stage of the collection! If you accidently happen to cut through a small nail or staple, that small piece of metal hitting the impeller could cause a spark which could possibly start a fire in the collection bin.

Doug
    The up side to the push thru blower is according to Bill Pentz site, push thru systems are somewhat more efficient and they don't want to suck any bags into the cyclone. Any leaks in the plumbing would be pretty obvious. Yes the stuff goes thru the blower but that's the case with every single stage system and I can't think of a case where there was a dust collector fire as a result of metal striking a fan. I imagine it has happened but it seems quite rare. I imagine that if the dust collector included a floor sweep the likelihood of sucking up a chunk of wood or bit of metal would increase.