Thread: Epilog Helix lens changeover

Epilog Helix lens changeover

I have an opportunity that will require a 4" lens for my 2009 Helix.
    Some questions:
    1. is it advisable/practical to switch between the 2" and 4" lenses for different jobs?
    does it affect alignment?
    2. is there a less expensive route than $386 for the whole assembly direct from Epilog?

thanks for any info,
    Jim

In my 25 years I have never had the need for a 4" lens. The "go to" lens for most work, cutting and engraving, is a 2" lens. You can talk to these people, https://american-photonics.myshopify.com/. I have no info on them so shop at your own risk.

For me, if the job didn't pay for the lens and provide a good profit it wouldn't be worth it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    In my 25 years I have never had the need for a 4" lens. The "go to" lens for most work, cutting and engraving, is a 2" lens. You can talk to these people, https://american-photonics.myshopify.com/. I have no info on them so shop at your own risk.

For me, if the job didn't pay for the lens and provide a good profit it wouldn't be worth it.
    American Photonics is a very stand up company and makes some of the best quality lenses around. All 100% made in the USA. I'd definitely give them a call and see what they can do for you.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Steve
    Thanks for that endorsement. Good to know.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

OK, I'll bite: what type of job requires a 4" lens? Best I can guess is something that's not flat-?

I have a 4" lens, got it for my Chinese Triumph, and I have used the lens in my 'good' machines...

Unless what you're engraving is easily engraved at low power settings, a 4" lens will likely be frustrating as hell. I have several lenses, and a 3" is MUCH more efficient than a 4" lens. My go-to lens is a cheap Chinese 2-1/2", it cuts well, engraves well, and is much more forgiving when out of focus slightly than a 2". A 3" ENGRAVES pretty good, but cutting efficiency sucks. Cutting with a 4" lens with 80 watts is tough to do...

Whatever lens you use, whether it will 'affect alignment' should only be an issue with your initial home position X-Y alignment, but a temporary easy fix is to simply engrave a 1/2" square box with the top and left edges exactly 1/2" down and 1/2" from the left- measure with some good calipers where the engraving actually IS in relation to where it SHOULD be, and that the size matches up. If good, then go-- if not, just note the difference in measurements, adjust the engraving position (and size if needed) accordingly, and re-test. If good, just note the offset distances to fix. No need to re-adjust the whole machine over a lens change, just adjust your 'actual' home position, and job save the good results...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle