Thread: Drilling acrylic material

Drilling acrylic material

What is the correct bit and drill press speed for drilling into acrylic material? I am trying to make some wider bases for a trim router. The standard base size is too small to balance on a homemade jig for routing hinge mortises. Thanks for your feedback.

If you "dub" the cutting edges of your drill bit it won't grab the acrylic. Just take a fie and slide it across the sharp edge of the drill bit to flatten it a little bit is all you need.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I would try using a hand spray plastic bottle to spray denatured alcohol on the work. It works well on aluminum, and I think it will
    work on the acrylic , leaving a crisp cut.

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me answers for my own interest as well, but I believe you want a slow speed. High speed equals heat and heat melts the plastic.

My first attempt at cutting acrylic with a jig saw years ago was at high speed and as fast as the blade was cutting, it was also melting, so it would cut and then re-bond right behind the blade.

That was a learning moment to be sure.

Blog Entries
    Instead of using Acrylic, I would suggest switching to Polycarbonate (Lexan). Polycarbonate is much less likely to shatter or crack and it machines just like wood. You can even run the edges across a jointer to remove saw marks.

I would also not recommend using alcohol on acrylic as it can damage the plastic..
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-28-2023 at 7:41 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The drills I've bought for acrylic have a very steep angle on the point. I've used these https://www.tapplastics.com/product/...drill_bits/161

I've also used brad point drills without a problem. Slow speed (a couple hundred rpm?) seems to work best-- you don't want to melt your way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I would try using a hand spray plastic bottle to spray denatured alcohol on the work. It works well on aluminum, and I think it will
    work on the acrylic , leaving a crisp cut.
    Alcohol will can cause the acyrlic to crack

I've machined acrylic with power sanders, (disc, belt, and spindle), and have cut it on the bandsaw and scroll saw and drilled it with regular drill bits. It's never been a problem.
    Last edited by Zachary Hoyt; 04-29-2023 at 7:40 AM.

Blog Entries
    Like Zachary I just use the recommended speed for the bit size without issue.

Colt Teardrop (1).jpgColt Teardrop (3).jpgColt Teardrop (4).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    The drills I've bought for acrylic have a very steep angle on the point. I've used these https://www.tapplastics.com/product/...drill_bits/161

I've also used brad point drills without a problem. Slow speed (a couple hundred rpm?) seems to work best-- you don't want to melt your way through.
    Absolutely best investment you can make if drilling acrylic. The drill is set up to scrape the material, not cut it. Drills acrylic like butta!