Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vidalia Onions

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka View Post
    Made some Oklahoma Onion burgers with Vidalias last weekend. They are the best onions by far.
    Never heard of that burger before. Went to the goog. Yum. Thanks, Atlanta bro.

Had yet another breakfast of bread, mayo and Vidalia. Gotta dig in while they last.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

They’re fantastic burgers. My only advice is to use a mandolin and slice up them Vidalia onions as thin as possible and pile them high.

Good grooming tip to save bandaids

Perfect conditions this year. My Mom is 85. Her arthritis has her down to only one arm. Her onions are always amazing. This may be her banner year.

Screen Shot 2024-06-23 at 3.51.35 PM.jpg IMG_2054.jpg
    My sets were were purchased on the same trip to Morgan County Seeds and planted at the same time. Mine are lame. Evidently a green thumb is not genetic.
    IMG_2057.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-23-2024 at 9:27 PM. Reason: comparison image

True Vidalia onions can only come from one place. Vidalia Ga.
    Vidalia Ga is also the home of the Paul Anderson Youth Home - he holds the Guinness record for lifting over three tons!
    He used his fame to open the Youth Home.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Perfect conditions this year. My Mom is 85. Her arthritis has her down to only one arm. Her onions are always amazing.
    Sorry to hear about your Mom's health. Apparently hasn't interfered with the gardening.

There is no replacement for a Mom.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    An African proverb says, When an old man dies A library burns to the ground. And when an old woman dies a school burns to the ground.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sorry to hear about your Mom's health. Apparently hasn't interfered with the gardening.

She can tuck her her hoe under her stiff arm and eradicate weeds with her not quite as stiff other arm. About this time last year she shared a few onions. Before the onions were handed over I was required to sit and listen to a parable
    ("Since you STILL haven't read Brothers K").

A wicked woman who was infamous in her town passes away from old age. God condemns her to eternal damnation in the afterlife since she has not done a single act of good during her life. The guardian angel pleads for mercy and desperately searches for even a small act of good the woman could have done. It finds that she once gave an onion from her farm to the wandering beggar and presents it to God as evidence. God declares that the guardian angel can try to lift the woman from the lake of fire with the onion. If she is carried up to heaven with it, she would be allowed to stay. However, if the onion were to snap, the woman would remain in hell forever. The angel shared the verdict of God to the wicked woman and stretched out the onion for her to grab. The woman was slowly rising from the pit of fire as she held onto the onion. Meanwhile, nearby sinners saw what was happening and began to cling to the woman. She responded by furiously kicking at them while yelling, “This is my onion! It is not yours to have!” As the last words left her mouth, the onion snapped, and the angel wept as the woman plummeted back into hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    True Vidalia onions can only come from one place. Vidalia Ga.
    Vidalia Ga is also the home of the Paul Anderson Youth Home - he holds the Guinness record for lifting over three tons!
    He used his fame to open the Youth Home.
    Vidalia GA sets the bar high!

The yellow ones are merely Vidaila type; Garnex Yellow F1, One of the varieties used in Vidalia County, GA where they grow the famous Vidalia onions.

The red ones are Red Candy Apple; Very, very sweet! Deep red, flattened globe shape, sweet, hybrid. Red Candy Apple has proved to be a reliable red intermediate day onion year after year. Although smaller in size, this onion can be pushed to grow larger in long days areas with additional nitrogen.

Are they in season now this year? I don't see them in our Publix, and I always buy them when I see them.

On a vaguely related, Georgia note. When are the freestone peaches coming?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I don't know when they harvest in GA. In MO mine started falling over two weeks ago. Moms are still growing!
    I do have an email from my SIL in Brunswick GA this morning. He wishes Florida would keep their very hot very humid air on their side.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I don't know when they harvest in GA.
    The state of Georgia has very strict and wide-ranging controls over Vidalia onions. They - the State - has it codified in law, and the Dept of Ag has tight regs. Application required to get a permit to grow and sell under that name. There are actually 20 counties where it is permitted - but don't be mislead - GA has 159 counties. But its still a big area - centered around the hamlet of Vidalia. The State aggressively pursues miscreants nationwide.

You can buy and plant seed, and grow them, but holy hell will be visited upon your miserable soul if you dare to market them as Vidalia. The penalty is your first-born male child.

The AG board sets the allowable ship date for growers. 2024 it was April 17, IIRC. No Vidalia onions may be shipped from the farms before then - this includes neighborhood roadside stands. Sales continue through mid-Sept.

I heard that it was the soil conditions there that made them so special. Up until about 10 years ago, you would only see them for sale by Shriners on the side of the road. Now I see them in most major supermarkets.
    < insert spurious quote here >

The state of Georgia has very strict and wide-ranging controls over Vidalia onions. They - the State - has it codified in law, and the Dept of Ag has tight regs. Application required to get a permit to grow and sell under that name. There are actually 20 counties where it is permitted - but don't be mislead - GA has 159 counties. But its still a big area - centered around the hamlet of Vidalia. The State aggressively pursues miscreants nationwide.

You can buy and plant seed, and grow them, but holy hell will be visited upon your miserable soul if you dare to market them as Vidalia. The penalty is your first-born male child.

The AG board sets the allowable ship date for growers. 2024 it was April 17, IIRC. No Vidalia onions may be shipped from the farms before then - this includes neighborhood roadside stands. Sales continue through mid-Sept.
    Great info! Copied and pasted into an email to myself. The farmers market in Mexico MO often has onions from near by Vandaila MO. I fear that those onions may be a roundup ready variety.

It was strange to hear my Mom reiterate Dostoevsky's Onion parable. She never had an unkind moment. She has shared lots of onions.