Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vidalia Onions

Shriners and Boy Scouts around here used to sell Vidalia's seasonally as fund raisers. Now they show up in regular groceries. I saw one of those cooking shows on TV in which they said cooking onions causes a bunch of chemical reactions that pretty much erase the sweetness component of Vidalia's so that they are best used raw.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Stan, cooking them "low and slow" can help a lot...you get the softening desired without the negatives of higher heat cooking. Honestly, this works well for all formats of onions when cooking is indicated. (Same for mushrooms with or without onions)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

sweet onions just went into the buckwheat soup. Also tried a red cabbage for a change but not so keen it just looks bizarre in there. Vidalias are a sweet onion so what is the difference between the two. Ill have to ask at the store though likely get better info here most of the time. Walla walla sounds like they are from Hawaii.

If you are in the Central Washington area, when Walla Walla Sweets are in season you can drive on Highway 26 east of Othello, and pick as many as you want off the side of the road. They truck so many on that road that they are literally falling off the trucks as they drive.

Vidalia are the real deal. There are others that are good but not the same. Breakfast was bagel, lox, capers and lots of thin sliced vidalias.

I just saw there was a planned site maintenance. I did not know about that

I assumed I could not get on because the huge interest in Vidalia Onions had clogged the pipeline

Blog Entries
    Walla walla sounds like they are from Hawaii.
    They are grown in the Walla Walla Valley of southeast Washington and northeast Oregon.

Hawaii has their own sweet onion:

Grown in the shadows of Haleakala, a long-dormant volcano on the island of Maui, Maui Sweet Onions are among the sweetest in the world. Known for their smooth, mild flavor and juicy texture, this versatile vegetable is used by professional chefs and home cooks alike for roasting, grilling, frying and much more.
    jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In ‘77 I was a welder working on a shut-down at the 100N nuke out in the Hanford area of SE WA. We were on 7/12’s. In the Hogger (lunchroom), Bill a very senior local hand was at a table peeling what I thought was an apple. it slipped out of his hand, fell to the table and split apart. I asked what he was eating and he responded a WW Sweet giving me a qtr. Any onion I had ever seen growing up in NY would have blown your head off, but this, mmmm, sublime.
    Bill went on to tell me of his family history in the area. Many of the farmers in the area were granted property as veterans of WWI. He said that the Native Americans tribes used to winter in the Columbia Basin as it had a micro climate that was a bit less harsh than surrounding areas as the Columbia wraps around that section of the State. His father did quite well on the place as the climate allowed the soft fruit to ripen ahead of other areas allowing him to get to the Seattle/Portland market a couple weeks ahead of surrounding areas.1942 or so rolls around and a Capt in an Army car drives up with a check telling his Dad that the family had 10 days to vacate the property as it was about to become a part of the Manhattan Project. His Dad said, “Give me three weeks to get my crop in and you can keep your money.” The Capt said, “10 Days.” And they were off the place never to return as Hanford became nuclear central. Today, the waste leaks into the Columbia and all the nukes are shut down.

I bought Vidalia onions from the Shriners on the way home today. It was $10 for a bag. They will be on hamburgers this weekend.

We get them here, all the way up in Alaska. Shriners bring a few pallets of them here to my home town. As mentioned earlier, they do not keep long, and when we get them, they are already half way to being too old. It's the only time of the year I eat onion rings, as I do not eat fried food, but I make an exception with the Vidalia's. I also make a lot of French onion soup with them, it's terrific. Good excuse to grill a steak too, with carnalized mushrooms and onions..... When you have a bag of them, and not much time to eat them, you end up making all kinds of things.

Blog Entries
    Here is something for all of us who love onions > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-aWT2wMF10

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Here is something for all of us who love onions > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-aWT2wMF10

jtk
    Jim - reading your posts for lo these many years, I had a certain mental image of you.

I confess - that image has now been adjusted.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I am also a frequent onion cooker and eater, but I don't mind a little bit of irreverent onion music. Here's a sadder one, while we're on the subject:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Jndkyunv8

You guys crack me up.

Nicely done. Nicely, nicely
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Ewwww. That one was a widdle too much to listen to past the first chorus, but it did lead me down the rabbit hole of watching 'wayback TV' and 15 minutes of a failed, never sold, sitcom about Lil Abner and Dogpatch.

For that, I will never forgive you.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Made some Oklahoma Onion burgers with Vidalias last weekend. They are the best onions by far.