Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I went and done it…

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    The bench has been christened…
    Oh? Did you give it the first obligatory hammer ding? Coffee cup ring? Something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post
    Oh? Did you give it the first obligatory hammer ding? Coffee cup ring? Something else?
    No, I plan to let it come naturally. I don’t care if it’s perfect so that’s not been an issue for me.

When my bench was brandy-new, I babied it for a long time. Bit by bit it's picked up some "character." Now after 40 years it's developed a nice "patina." It'll come in time. I've heard people say, "work on the bench, not into it!" That makes sense to me to a point.

It brings to mind the old story that Frank Klaus tells about being an apprentice in some technical academy where the strict headmaster would charge the apprentices a fine of one guilder, each time they nicked one of the benches. One fellow working late on his last day walked past the headmaster and handed him a guilder, apologizing for making a cut in the bench, and left. When the headmaster walked into the room to turn off the lights, he saw that the bench had been sawn in half.

DC

Blog Entries
    Tony,

That is really very nice. It's an awesome new tool. Congratulations.

PHM

I thought most of us just get into an infinite loop of building benches which we then use to build the next bench to build the next bench to build the next bench.

I mean, that's what I did.

Can't imagine what I'd be doing if not building so benches! Heaven forbid I ever find time to work on an actual project!