Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite dustpan and broom

A Dust Collector? I'm the Dust Collector, and this is what I use

Hmmmm...Bedknobs & Broomsticks, is it now?
    Brooms and Pans, dust bucket .JPG
    Dust Collector, so I don't have to bend over ( and fall on my face)
    Brooms and Pans, 2 brooms .JPG
    The 2 shop brooms...care to take one for a ride?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

There is at least one local broom maker, and I have several of his brooms. I did grow some broom plants, which I think is a variety of millet. Not going to make them. Since I have several lathes, I got one of the big scoop shovels. I REALLY wish I could find a good steel one instead of the cheap pot metal ones. I use the 55 gallon contractor grade bags to pile the shavings in. Note here, when sweeping and scooping up shavings, you send as much or more dust into the air as you do when hand or power sanding if you don't have the vacuum attached to the sanders. No, those little dust filters on the sanders do not count.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    There is at least one local broom maker, and I have several of his brooms. I did grow some broom plants, which I think is a variety of millet. Not going to make them. Since I have several lathes, I got one of the big scoop shovels. I REALLY wish I could find a good steel one instead of the cheap pot metal ones. I use the 55 gallon contractor grade bags to pile the shavings in. Note here, when sweeping and scooping up shavings, you send as much or more dust into the air as you do when hand or power sanding if you don't have the vacuum attached to the sanders. No, those little dust filters on the sanders do not count.

robo hippy

Interesting that you mention that....originally, I was going to go for a drum sander, but realized I needed a dust collector.
    I ended up getting a dust collector off craigslist that I'm going to upgrade to Merv 15 and Dust Deputy.

In the end, I decided that I need an actual dust collector more than a drum sander.