Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maker of wooden ladders, Switzerland

Maker of wooden ladders, Switzerland

I got great pleasure from watching the skill and speed with which this older couple make beautiful ladders.
    https://youtu.be/RzR6mDJwEAQ

Thanks for the link

I happened to see that also. Very interesting and the purpose is interesting also. Couldn’t do that here in the USA. You would have so many government agencies after you. OSHA, FSA, and maybe even the FBI and CIA. Good thing people are still able to do those things somewhere so we can see.
    Jim

Interesting process. Ladders look amazingly light weight for the size. Most surprising thing for me being an European shop is the lack of guards on the machines.

if you work on your own you dont have to have guards at least here. Was waiting for him to deliver the ladder on his bike. Country side is stunning what a beautiful place. I like staying on the ground, would want one of those lift bucket things though maybe not the best driving around the tree and compression on tree roots and polluting Sure elon will be making an electric one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I happened to see that also. Very interesting and the purpose is interesting also. Couldn’t do that here in the USA. You would have so many government agencies after you. OSHA, FSA, and maybe even the FBI and CIA. Good thing people are still able to do those things somewhere so we can see.
    Jim
    The San Francisco Fire Department makes its own wooden ladders. There’s video on the web someplace.

I use ladders a lot, but won't use one with round rungs. They're too hard on my feet. I'm sure they work good for what they're using them for, but I won't be one of the users.

I was going to say the same thing - but - - I didn't want to be the boy scout that piddled on the campfire..

Round rungs can make a long day 1000 times longer.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I was going to say the same thing - but - - I didn't want to be the boy scout that piddled on the campfire..

Round rungs can make a long day 1000 times longer.
    If (unavoidably) faced with round rungs, tree hooks, or pole spurs get a pair of linemen's boots. Their long steel shanks make them infinitely more endurable in such situations, plus they have low- and mid-rise versions if preferred.

I have metal plates between my tree climbing boots and the spurs. They're not that comfortable to stand on for long either, but that's mainly because the boots aren't that comfortable to start with.

https://sherrilltree.com/buckingham-...gham-climbers/

I just don't do round rungs. There is one round rung ladder here left from when we first came here. I use it to hold things being spray painted stretched out between saw horses, so they are good for something.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-26-2023 at 7:41 PM.

Back when I did a lot of ladder work, I wore soccer shin guards- the plastic ones that you wear under socks.

Get a little hot, but save a lot of bruises.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    If (unavoidably) faced with round rungs, tree hooks, or pole spurs get a pair of linemen's boots. Their long steel shanks make them infinitely more endurable in such situations, plus they have low- and mid-rise versions if preferred.
    Not to worry! LOL!
    On a ladder is just one of those places my ancient fat carcass isn't going to be found anymore. That's just one step behind being found running away from Ben Foster trying to kill me for suspecting me of fooling around with his wife (Laura Prepon)!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I like the come-along tool he uses to seat the rung-tenons.

Oh, the EU has safety regulations and standards for ladders as much if not more than the US.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I linked on just to see what a tree ladder was. As it turned out, I became more interested in the process and the machinery utilized as the video progressed. Passed it on to several non-woodworkers who also said it was interesting.

Agree with @RichEngelHardt - beautiful construction and project, but it will make a long day seem impossible to get through.