Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would like advice on dust collection

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Dust deputy 4/5 is all you need for that DC. Too big and you’ll severely weaken the CFM. My first setup was a Laguna of similar size and it worked great with the 4/5 and a 17 gallon drum.
    Just to clarify- Super Dust Deputy 4/5 cyclone https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-depu...lone-separator
    Steel super dust deputy cyclone (5") model https://www.oneida-air.com/steel-sup...BoCeRsQAvD_BwE

I'm just not sure how Oneida's resin holds up to time.
    When I started, I had the regular resin dust deputy attached to my Vac...but it broke after about 3 years (part of it chipped off, and I couldn't figure out how to repair it).

I tend to be leery of plastic.

I have no experience with the shop vac versions to say they are the same type of plastic or not. I've had mine for 5 years and it now is dedicated to my CNC and continues to function fine. I use 4" inlet and 6" outlet into my DC. The steel is fine too, you'll just end up with a few adapters that would otherwise be unnecessary.

The composite SDD is pretty darn thick material, based on my experience using on in the "Temporary Gara-Shop" during my shop building build. I was pretty impressed with how heavy it was.

BTW, on disposable type masks, I've never been able to use the ear loop type because of interference with my hearing aids and glasses...you can only cram so much over the ear! So I only use the head loop type. For in-shop, I use an RZ mask.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's good to know!

I just got off the phone with a nice lady at Wynn. Got the 35B222Nano conversion kit, and some small clamps.

If the composite SDD is good enough, I'll get that this afternoon.

The Wynn folks are nice...actually local to me, although they don't do retail, AFAIK.
    --

The Wynn filter came in over the weekend. Need to install it. Very fast shipping.

As for the Super Dust Deputy, I ordered a resin one off Amazon.
    It was frustratingly flimsy feeling. I could probably snap it apart using my bare hands (and I'm not all that strong).
    I returned it to get the steel version.

This setup will be my "temporary solution" which may be a good 10 or 20 years.

That's interesting as the resin SDD I had in the temporary gara-shop was impressively sturdy for something not made of metal. Sad you didn't feel good about what you received but glad you were able to swap out for the steel version.
    --