Thread: Help Identify This Sharpening Jig

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Help Identify This Sharpening Jig

Can anyone identify this sharpening jig and tell me a little about it? Seems to me it could be for gouges, but it also might be used for drill bits. I inserted a dowel into the topmost holder for clarity.

IMG_6180.jpg

IMG_6181.jpg

IMG_6182.jpg

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I agree with Ed. I have a Kodiak system.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Foley View Post
    I agree with Ed.
    Thanks. It certainly looks the same.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I have this same jig and I think it predates the Kodiak jig. The difference is that it has a captured allen wrench along one side of the jig that is supposed to be used to determine the amount of stick-out. I went downstairs to my shop last night to see if I could find the printed material that came with the jig and I couldn't find it. My memory seems to recall that it was an Australian item, possibly True Cut. I know they have a completely difference jig now.

Personally, I like the Wolverine Vari-grind better - I find this jig very difficult to set to get a consistent wing grind on my gouges. Your mileage may vary.

Originally it was called the SharpFast.
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!