Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commissioning A3-31 vs. A3-41

Commissioning A3-31 vs. A3-41

Hi all,

I’m on the cusp of ordering a new J/P and am considering both the Hammer 31 and 41. I’m curious about folk’s experience setting these up-the internet and Felder indicate the A3-41 is more likely to need adjustment, which apparently takes “fiddly” to a new level. The Felder fee is $1100 to commission, a flat fee regardless of location.

I’m hoping to hear from folks with either machine about how well aligned it was when it arrived. I’ve read near every post here but tough to tell if there’s a big difference between the two models or not.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Hi Christopher,

When I purchased my A3, the comissioning was not offered and I spent many hours getting it going and set up. The adjustments from the factory were not satisfactory to me. To this day I regret not having someone from Felder come over and put it to perfect settings.

I might be an exception but I would definitely have it commissionned.

Sébastien

Christopher,

These machines aren't hard to setup. I purchased my 41 used, and after several hours bouncing down the road in a trailer, I always take the time to set up each used machine up properly. Its one of those things you only have to do once so it pays to take your time.

Lots of online instructions on how to setup these J/P combo type machines. My machine jointed a sprung joint, so I adjusted that out. I didn't need to adjust the planer bed as it was parallel to the cutter head. I can see paying Felder to do the setup if you are a production shop and have a bunch of machines delivered, but its honestly really simple. Adjusting the jointer only requires tweaking a few bolts.

I held out for a 41 because I wanted the longer beds, but the 16" capacity is nice also. If you have a few thousand dollars laying around, upgrading to a Felder or Format 4 machine is a better use IMO.

I used the method shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEq5C5oovFk

My A3-31 arrived (January 2021) with the infeed table high at the infeed end creating a valley at the cutterhead. Not good. Felder was good and I had a gent (very patient) on the phone with me for close to three hours making the various adjustments and checks.

I kind of agree with Keegan above that the adjustments themselves are not too hard but are FAR from intuitive. I certainly could not go back in with confidence 18 months later. The challenge is that with every small adjustment you make, you need to put it back together to see if you have it where you want it. You may feel that an adjustment is spot on, but it is only when eerything is fully cranked back down that you can tell. The tech and I were certain we had the tables coplanar but after I truly got it back together discovered that the infeed end was a bit low. I can live with that and have not messed with it further. I really would like it to be coplanar so that I don't need to be so deliberate when jointing, but I manage and am getting good joints.

Would I pay $1100? Probably not, the purchase felt like a stretch as it was. I keep waiting for someone who has 'been there, done that' to show up near me in Houston to help me fine tune it to perfection (or close enought!!).

Good luck, you will love the machine!!

I picked up my 31 at felder(delaware) and setup myself. There was no setup it was DOB accurate right away. Ive watched videos on adjusting and it didnt seem too bad its unfortunately from the inside rather than the outside. I thought I may need it as my pieces were getting stuck and not moving. Turns out I just needed to make sure the planer table was oiled well. The Hammer surfaces have an interesting texture, they are not perfectly smooth like regular cast. Its a great machine. At the very least dont get the commisioning until you get it home and test it our you may not need it.

I like the Felder Metalglanze for this machine

George - the Hammer surface finish surprised me as well. My other cast iron machine tables are smooth and when waxed are slippery. Seems like Felder skipped a machining step to save some money as I'm pretty sure the more expensive machines have a smoother table finish. Maybe someone can correct me.

Keeping the planer bed waxed is really important on my machine.

I’ve had my A3-31 for 8 or 9 years now, and the adjustments completed by the Felder agents, here in Perth, remain perfect. I would not have wished to commission any of the Hammer machines I have when brand spanking new (also K3 and N4400), but my mindset is to be able to service them all myself when needed, which I do. I cannot think of anything more frustrating than receiving a new machine, and it needs time to be adjusted before it can be used.

Regarding the -31 vs -41, there have only been a handful of times I wished for a wider table than 12”. I build medium-sized furniture and do not machine-plane glued up panels. I prefer to finish with hand planes. The length of the jointer bed is perfect for my needs. I do not need the extension (which I have). How often does one prepare boards wider than 12”? I like the idea of having a bigger machine, but would struggle to fit it into the workshop.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Satisfied owner of the A3-41 here. Fortunately my machine was spot-on from the factory; other than cleaning the shipping gunk off the beds all I needed was to wax the beds. The planer bed is more needy of the wax treatment-if boards get hung up while planing its because of friction. You can use the Felder offering or good old-fashioned silicone-free wax.
    If I had the coin for the Felder J/P I would consider the commissioning offering-that is a nice but pricey piece of kit.
    It's good to have the 16" capacity; not used often but I smile each time I run a board across the beds. And yes I would get the same machine if a UFO crashed into the shop.

I have the A3-31. It arrive spot on and has needed nothing since. I agree the tables aren't as nicely machined as some other equipment I have, but kept waxed, they work fine.

My 31 came in with a big dent in a protective cover part, but was perfect from the start.

To the OP, were you given the option to arrange for commish, after delivery, if the machine isn’t cutting the way you want? That’s how I always handled it: “Use the various online resources etc to get the machine dialed in and if it still doesn’t cut the way you want, then let’s set up commisioning”. You might find the machine cuts perfectly, off the pallet.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

My A3-31 was perfect as delivered. Four years later, I haven't yet rotated the carbide cutters.

Hi all,

Thanks for the feed back, super helpful. Eric, I've found out that, yes, commissioning can be purchased within a reasonable time period after delivery if not cutting well.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Wolfy View Post
    I had a Jet 12" j/p &sold it to a friend when i ordered an A3-41. It took about a year for delivery during Covid. The only thing i don't like is that all Hammers come from the factory set for a sprung joint. Over a 4' joint is about 1/16" to 1/8" of an inch. I wish it was less n but i don't want to mess with it.

I'm making a large cribbage table right now (for typing awine barrel). 3x16" sections for one top. I love the extra room.
    I had the same experience with the sprung joint. I decided to adjust it, and it was a maddening couple of hours chasing the change each adjustment made because the bed basically sits on four individual points. I didn't eliminate the spring completely, but reduced it to maybe 1/32" over 4ft. Of course, the longer the workpiece, the larger the spring will be, but I suppose the longer workpiece will be more able to close the joint so I suppose it may not be a bad thing. The video someone above linked is a pretty good overview of the adjustment process.

I have the A3-31 and have never had or needed to adjust. Only thing I’ve ever done is replace a few chipped inserts.