Thread: Personal Lectern

Personal Lectern

I've been building lecterns for many years; it starts, as everyone know, with one for myself and follows with friends asking "How Much...",

So, here for your artistic perusal is a few of my progressive examples, and my learning journey.

The first, is one I built from wind-felled Elm, and Teak inlays. It went to my son in the L.A area.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

My friend of 50+ years came to me and asked if I could build him a "simple" lectern. He sits in the front row of our religious establishment, and wanted something to lay his prayer books on when he stood for the prayers.

This one is of recycled Oak; Old Brown Glue, pegged joins. Finish was light Golden Oak and Ozmo hard wax oil.

After making another for myself in Arts and Crafts style (not shown) I decided it was time for me to use up some more of my stash of Mahogany, so I selected some Quarter-Sawn Oak and machined the strips of Mahogany, somewhat like the red stripes on the Finrperson's dress uniform.

Again, all the wood was recycled; joints were pinned and put together mostly with Old Brown Glue. There's no metal in the structure at all.
    Mahogany was highlighted with Cherry satin, and the Oak done up again with Light Golden Oak stain. The finish is Mohawk Pour 'n Wipe, 4 coats with sanding between.
    Sorry about the pictures sideways; like most "newbie" picture posters, it came up fine on my computer previews, but not here. Dang!

All very nice Aaron. My favorite is the Arts and Crafts.

I'm curious - what do you use a personal lectern for? (Other than what your friend does when sitting in the front row.)

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Fred, I sit on the aisle and as part of our prayer services, there’s a LOT of standing with a book in your hands. Besides the fact that at my age, it’s easier on my knees just to stand than to get up and down like a yo-yo.

That's a truly beautiful lectern, Aaron, in every way...awesome natural material, striking design with both simplicity and class. It's perfect for its intended use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Nice designs and work. Good use of the "recycled" material.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Beautiful work, Aaron. Sent you a message off-forum. Thanks for posting your pics. Howard
    Howard Rosenberg