Thread: Planning on getting a Jet 16-32 sander. Dust collection?

Planning on getting a Jet 16-32 sander. Dust collection?

Dear Sawmill Creek,

I've been holding off from woodworking for years.
    More recently, my wife gave me the okay to build her guitar.

I'm thinking of buying a Jet 16-32 or 18-36 sander (any thoguths on this?).
    However, I'm not sure if I need a better dust collection system?

Currently, I have my Fein Vac with a bag and Hepa Filter attached to a steel dust deputy.
    It works well for my Mirka Deros sander, Makita hand planer, tracksaw, and trim router.
    However, it doesn't do anything for my Sawstop. For my planer, I just stick it outside the shop and sweep up the remnants.

With a sander, would the Fein be enough?
    Alternatively, I was looking into a Dust Cobra...or just getting another dust collector and attaching it to a super dust deputy.

-Matt

Thanks, Richard!

I was sure that there's a thread I was missing.
    Will need to clear out a lot of space for the sander and the dust collector.

I've got a 1 HP Reliant dust collector, which is about the bottom of the barrel, on my 19-38 drum sander and it works fine. A cheap and not terribly big machine should be all you need.

I'll reinforce that you need very good air flow for dust collection when using a sander like this...the collection area is really spread out over the width of the drum, so the more air moving, the better the collection. And since it's all "fines", good collection is necessary for both personal health, keeping your shop clean and avoiding extra loading of the abrasive. So either have a good dust collection system for the shop or at least a dedicated collector (with good filtration) for the machine. A shop vac will not do the job, IMHO. You need air flow (CFM) not high static pressure (vacuum).
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Since you are doing "fine" dust generation, it's recommended that you get a dust collector with the pleated canister filters (2 micron) instead of the cloth bag filters (30 micron). The cloth bag filters work well for bigger debris (such as you would get from a tablesaw or jointer/planer), but may not capture all the fine dust generated by sanding machines. Minimum examples below:

Cloth bag filter:
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/j...p-model-dc-650

Pleated canister filter:
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/j...or-model-650ck

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    Since you are doing "fine" dust generation, it's recommended that you get a dust collector with the pleated canister filters (2 micron) instead of the cloth bag filters (30 micron). The cloth bag filters work well for bigger debris (such as you would get from a tablesaw or jointer/planer), but may not capture all the fine dust generated by sanding machines. Minimum examples below:

Cloth bag filter:
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/j...p-model-dc-650

Pleated canister filter:
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/j...or-model-650ck

I was thinking of doing something like this: https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7348084
    Found a delta 50-760 on craiglist. Thinking of adding a pleated filter, and using a steel dust deputy as a prestage seperator.

I'm in the weird position of not having the electrical wiring for my BIFL option (something like a supercell), and needing more than my shopvac/dust deputy combo. I don't have a lot of space, and don't plan to live at my place forever (I love my current house, but we definitely will need more space for our kid and pup).

I can't justify a dust gorilla as a stopgap in the meantime.
    That being said, I value my lungs (asthma, and working with high silicate woods like rosewood is asking for disaster)

You'll want an SDD setup for a DC blower like that and one that matches the inlet size of your blower for best results. Just so you know, that 50-760 will pretty much consume the one circuit you have available if I didn't misunderstand your earlier post. I had one in my temporary gara-shop while I was getting my shop building built and it performed fine with the SDD. I always had it on a separate circuit from any other tools running, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That looks like a fine idea, Matt!!

Looks like there's some additional details here:
    https://wynnenv.com/delta-50-760/

I bought the Supermax (now Laguna) 16/32 last year. It has pretty good dust collection for what it is. Something to do with the cover's "new" design. A shop vac will not cut it though, so I think your plan to use a descent DC is a smart one. They make a horrible mess if you do not have good air movement around that drum. I learned the hard way, being too lazy to connect mine to the DC when I was calibrating the thing. I thought it would be a quick and simple task, but an hour later - dust friggin everywhere. I learned to use the DC every single time I use the machine, regardless of task.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You'll want an SDD setup for a DC blower like that and one that matches the inlet size of your blower for best results. Just so you know, that 50-760 will pretty much consume the one circuit you have available if I didn't misunderstand your earlier post. I had one in my temporary gara-shop while I was getting my shop building built and it performed fine with the SDD. I always had it on a separate circuit from any other tools running, however.

You're correct.

I'm thinking of at least having an area I can sweep towards.
    Currently, my FEIN vac has nice suction, but only a very small volume.
    I may just ask a favor from a patient and use their massive belt sander...or bite the bullet and get good with my hand planes.

I figure....dust collection is probably not a bad idea!

Oh, and got a SDD 4/5 on order from Amazon. Ordered the Wynn kit. I figure that I'll swap out the bag from the Delta First, and try to install the Super Dust Deputy with a clear bin for shavings.