Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

24 Apr 2023

Greetings,
    It's been a busy week with the day job and trying to get yard work done between the rain and storms. Such as the weather for this time of year. One of these days, I'll get things together and make stuff again but the day job demands so much of my time and effort. The LOML will graduate college in just over 2 weeks. I'm also busy planning something for her to attend her graduation and have a celebration meal for her after it's done. I also need to get my shop in order so I can officially move an additional tablesaw and stroke sander into my shop space.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I've been in a similar boat with work outside the shop. I finished most of the mud, sanding and priming in my basement. Only to discover some issues with the existing paint that has required more scraping, sanding, shellac and touchup work.

The light at the end of the tunnel is once this is done I'll be on to trim work. While paint grade trim carpentry isn't as fun as furniture making, it sure will be an improvement over drywall work. I'll even get to route a few custom trim pieces to cover bifold door track.

The important question Dennis - are you cooking this meal or finding a nice restaurant to eat at?

Completed that forever red oak end table my wife wanted. I am not that happy with the outcome but it was time to finish it and let her have it. She's satisfied and that is important. I began milling the hard maple for my Moxon vice. I left it stickered over night on my outfeed table and continued the process this afternoon. I hope to finish it this evening.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Didn't get into the shop at all last week Had an old friend come up from GA to spend a few days, and part of the week was spent cleaning and getting ready for a house guest, since we haven't had one since pre-pandemic. We went to a tour of our high school (Parma Senior High) which is slated for demolition, and got to see many old friends, many that I haven't seen since graduation long, long ago. We spent a lot of time reminiscing about our high school adventures. I should be able to get back to work on my laundry cart this week. I do need a day or two of warm and dry weather so I can apply the formica to the top and shelves and sides; I need to do that in the garage. Unfortunately, the forecast is for mostly rain for the next week or so.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Started 4 owl banks for the Grandkids Christmas, will work on them a little at a time. Milled wood and molding for transition frame for my chest on chest dresser. Ripped the "oven baked" butcher block and removed the split glue lines and reglued the board.

Trying to get in one day of bass fishing a week during the spring weather.

Spent four days at friends house at the beach. Friend has Macular degeneration, so she can't drive. Monday was her birthday, and over the weekend her kids (grown) took her to beach house. Sunday afternoon, they left, and we arrived on Monday. We is my wife, myself and two friends. One will be moving in early June. It was me and four lovely ladies, which we refer to as "the girls," even though they average 83 years in age. They had me come along for two reasons, first, I'm their chef, and secondly, I can drive after dark. Had a great time, and a lot of good food. Came home late Thursday, and on Friday cut grass, went to Lion's Club fish fry. Saturday made biscuits for grandson and myself. Before leaving, got my T-Mobile 5G internet connection up and running, thanks to help from our daughter. Now I can boot AT&T's sorry and expensive internet out, along with Direct TV. So for me it was a GREAT WEEK! PS, later this week, wife and I will celebrate 45 years of marriage to each other. This is a second marriage for each of us. You know how second marriages don't seem to last

I finally finished my lectern, and posted the pictures in the projects forum.
    Used up a bunch of my mahogany and oak “donated” wood. Whew.
    My daughter was just accepted into a very small, but nice supportive housing complex, and now realizes that the massive cost of her storage was all for naught. She can’t fit anything saved into her new place.
    I need to finish the bedside tables I made her as a present for when she moves out.
    My beloved has already earmarked my summer for furniture projects. I’m tired already.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Completed that forever red oak end table my wife wanted. I am not that happy with the outcome but it was time to finish it and let her have it. She's satisfied and that is important. I began milling the hard maple for my Moxon vice. I left it stickered over night on my outfeed table and continued the process this afternoon. I hope to finish it this evening.
    Ken, we all know about "Forever" furniture projects. Sounds like it's time to move on and enjoy the vise project.

Dennis, I hope you get some more shop time soon...and it's wonderful that your better half is about to graduate! I know she worked hard and that will pay off.

This past week was great, but also stressful and busy with the new overgrown puppy (who wasn't really trained very well by his original adopting family) and juggling transportation needs for both us and our older daughter. And overgrown puppies, like most/all pets, um...need a lot of stuff. Otherwise, I did some more landscaping repairs, got rid of the last piece of the original falling down fence as we move forward to getting a replacement and did a small project in the shop for another 'Creeker who is doing a "Colonial Fair" event with a few woodworking friends of his and needs examples of timber framing joints for the table. It was an interesting process figuring out a particularly complex post-rail-rafter joint and even more challenging because it was a lot of hand tool work. I kinda need to get a little better at sharpening. LOL

This week I have to finish a little project for another friend and build a "center console" for my Subaru Ascent's second row for between the captain's chairs so that the aforementioned overgrown puppy has an easier place to hang out when we are off shopping for his needs or heading to some park or trail for a bigger walk than just in the neighborhood. And also "entertaining" fencing contractors. Holy Expensive Fencing, Batman!! Sheesh...

Upcoming interesting "project" is to help our younger daughter and her SO prepare for a multi-month camping journey this summer. I talked them out of a roof-top tent and into a used teardrop camper so they could be comfortable in "weather" for sleeping and not have to break camp to go into town for the SO to work when there's no or inadequate cellular signal for Internet or to shop or to eat in a restaurant. They are likely heading up the coast to Maine and maybe beyond for this first trip. My involvement, outside of providing a few shekels to help with the purchase of the teardrop, is to aid in any minor reconditioning and outfitting of their "new house" before they hit the road.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-25-2023 at 10:37 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...