Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on first spokeshave

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    Another point is to set for a very fine shaving and take more passes. Less likely to tear out with a finer shaving.
    Paul Sellers advocates for setting the blade for a thin shaving on one side and thicker on the other side so you don’t have to reset the iron for different thickness shavings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Focht View Post
    Paul Sellers advocates for setting the blade for a thin shaving on one side and thicker on the other side so you don’t have to reset the iron for different thickness shavings.
    Sounds good until you want something to be square instead of at an angle.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    For such work, this is the first one I reach for. They come in flat too.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...e?item=05P3376
    I agree. I have the Boggs shaves from LN and they are fantastic tools, but as others have mentioned they are best used for fine work. If I could only have one for both heavy and fine cuts, it would be this one. They're supposed to be back in stock in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by Rob Luter; 04-25-2023 at 6:40 AM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    I would recommend a traditional bronze adjustable from Moberg Tools http://www.mobergtools.com/.
    I use spokeshaves a LOT and while a bit of weight or heft in the body can help balance the shave, the Moberg adjustable shave weighs 16 oz, a full third more than either the Boggs or the Veritas. That would be an issue for me.

I don’t really care for adjustable shaves. I have owned and used a couple of 151s, but the gull wing handles and the added weight of the adjustable mechanism seemed to negatively affect the balance. When one is working with speed and for extended periods of time that can be a real issue. But, the Veritas has handle alignment much like the Boggs - more inline with the body and that would go a long way toward correcting the balance issue.

I use the Boggs flat and round, the LN small flat and round, and two Stanley 52s with PM-V11 blades, which also have good handle alignment. While I haven’t used the Veritas shaves, if I were going to get an adjustable shave it would be that one!

Left click my name for homepage link.

There are many here who would be happy to have you come by their shop to test drive various shaves to see how they would suit your current need.

Jim Koepke

Sure! I am in Southern California

When I went to the Garrett Hack Precision with Hand Tools workshop, I was asked to bring many tools that included a card-cabinet scraper and a spokeshave. The suggestions were Stanley 52 and 53 and other notable mentions were LN "Boggs". I only had a Pinnacle 151 and was told fine. Turns out I did not use it or the scraper. There was a brief spokeshave demo, but the small table with straight legs did not benefit from a spokeshave.

I was lucky to get into the 2024 workshop this summer, and to prepare, I want to spend some time in advance playing around more with spokeshaves (and card/cabinet scrapers) and I will try to get a little "Hack time" with spokeshaves. When I look up the 53/52, mostly on eBay in active and sold listings, seems there are many choices $35 - $68 where to me, many look very similar, all rusted including the blade where perhaps the owner did not sharpen-use it in the last 20+ years. I understand LV sells replacement blades for the 52 in A2 and PM-V11 but not sure about the 53..

Just curious, any suggestions on how to pick the right 52 and 53?

No need to over think this. A multi sided shaft would work just as well as a round. When you get above more than 8 sides, the shaft is very close to round at that diameter. A 16 side shaft is super close to round. You don't need to spend big money to get your first working oar. Our native people got by just fine with a piece of rock

I am still trying to figure this one out..
    Friday Rust HUnt, Spokeshave 1.JPG
    And get it sharp..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Another one to consider is https://www.mobergtools.com/

They also have some with adjustable mouths, so you can go from a fine to a coarse shave quickly. They are bronze, won't rust, but are not cheap either.

So many options. To keep it simple, let's say I want a Stanley 53. That means very used. I only see them on eBay and occasionally Time Bode tools when looking on the internet. I do not see printine examples for a premium price. They all look similar to me. Maybe there are things to look for. I was hoping someone could advise me on how to select. I certainly would be willing to pay a premium for a pristine example (if I could find one) as these are not all that expensive in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Gelman View Post
    There are many here who would be happy to have you come by their shop to test drive various shaves to see how they would suit your current need.

Sure! I am in Southern California

Where in southern California? You might be close to me and I have a bunch of spokeshaves.

MIke
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Live in South Bay and work in Orange County