Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Makita 2040 planer restoration

Impressive! Cool old machine to see working, again.

For the threads and slides that get coated in saw dust I like the dupont chain saver spray lube. Wax in a spray can seems better then oil that accumulates sawdust.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    For the threads and slides that get coated in saw dust I like the dupont chain saver spray lube. Wax in a spray can seems better then oil that accumulates sawdust.
    Bill D
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

I just picked up the same machine for $50 near Seattle. Had the same issue with stuck table and your disassembly pictures were very helpful. Hope I can get mine cleaned up and back together as well as yours!

I picked up the same machine on Monday for $50, not so lucky as to have refurbished rollers though. Your pictures were very helpful in figuring out how to get the head off and table unstuck. Now to get it all cleaned up and back together. Hope she runs as good as yours when I am done. I would post some pictures but I have been struggling for 30 minutes to figure it out and need to get back to work.

Thanks,
    Jeston
    Last edited by Jeston Boice; 05-26-2023 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeston Boice View Post
    I picked up the same machine on Monday for $50, not so lucky as to have refurbished rollers though. Your pictures were very helpful in figuring out how to get the head off and table unstuck. Now to get it all cleaned up and back together. Hope she runs as good as yours when I am done. I would post some pictures but I have been struggling for 30 minutes to figure it out and need to get back to work.

Thanks,
    Jeston

Good for you! I would consider not messing with the roller height & tension screws as it's a lot of struggle & the setting may be OK as is. Ereplacementparts is good if you need some bits & pieces. I used Rust-oleum"hammered" brown color rattle can which made a pretty good match to the original paint.

The picture posting is a pretty antiquated multi-step process...

Thanks for the continued good advice! Other than the upper rollers needing recovered, the only issue I will have is with one of the drum covers that bolts down to hold on the blade. It was missing one bolt and it looks like someone ran it that way which am caused the blade and drum cover to bend up there. If I can’t get that back in shape I’m not sure what I will do. They are not available as a replacement so will have to find a used one and thus far looks to be made of unobtainium. Not interested in spending $1k+ on a shelix so hopefully o can get it bent back reasonably well. Since I am I’m uncertain about that I am going to try a hack I saw for the rollers, to cover them with plastic tubing and see if that works. I figure no pint in spending $200 on the rubber coating if j can’t get it to perform well. Other than that the thing is complete and sounds like a top. Super excited and hopefully to get it going and replace my rigid lunch box that just isn’t enough tool for me.

and awesome advice on the color. As I am cleaning the base up I’m thinking they used the perfect color to make it hard to tell if it’s rust or the color!

8A7D50F0-2287-4A07-B6B6-5AFF4F5AA31C.jpg 7B782B73-AE74-4AFD-83E0-A79FBEA2078D.jpg 32924F6A-DCB2-4694-9B68-0907B3250423.jpg 6641473E-90BD-478D-9898-0F9295D02820.jpg

-Jeston

If the cutterhead itself still spins true, I would think the cover could be bent back in shape, by you, or a machine shop- it's pretty basic metal. Maybe just shim up the part on the cutterhead, and torque down on the bent area.
    A new set of knives costs a few bucks too, but at least they're sharp.

I never understood how the tubing hack would work as the diameter would be so much smaller, but it seems to have been successful for some folks...

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    If the cutterhead itself still spins true, I would think the cover could be bent back in shape, by you, or a machine shop- it's pretty basic metal. Maybe just shim up the part on the cutterhead, and torque down on the bent area.
    A new set of knives costs a few bucks too, but at least they're sharp.

I never understood how the tubing hack would work as the diameter would be so much smaller, but it seems to have been successful for some folks...

yeah, it’s kind of a shame to throw it all back together without getting the rollers properly recoated but I am intent on not investing the money until I make sure it can work properly. I’ll take some pics of the tubing and report back if it works, at least as a temporary fix.

1-1/4” ID vinyl tubing is on the rollers now. I struggled with getting it to slide on maybe a 1/3 of the way so I took it off a put it in my oven on “keep warm” (don’t tell my wife!) and then it slid right on and once cooled gels ver secure. Cut the ends to length and looks pretty good. Will have to see how well it grips and wears.

86CD4121-CB90-4C99-9E54-D455EF2C16A0.jpg 30D23D85-B4AC-45BF-89CB-AC66C200E213.jpg 4A9B5604-AD9A-48BC-BBD8-E2A3FCEC40FB.jpg

Looks good. What's the O.D.?

Mine are about 2 1/2", & on the 2030N machine they are about 2"

I think vinyl will slip. Car radiator hose may work. Too long for a cherne plug to help much. I would plug both ends with a plug and hose clamps. Wood plug at one end should be good enough. Other end use some pipe fitting and hose barbs. Then fill it with compressed air as high as the hose is rated for. let sit overnight or longer. Cut the end free and quick slip it in place.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Looks good. What's the O.D.?

Mine are about 2 1/2", & on the 2030N machine they are about 2"
    1.6” OD. Hope I can lose the roller down enough to contact the wood.

I’m certainly going to give it a go with the vinyl. Will report back on how it works. From what I have read it has worked for others.

The 1.6” OD ended up being too small to adjust the rollers and get the chain drive cover back on. I went and bought a second 1.5” ID vinyl tube and got it slid over the 1.25” ID tube for a final OD of 1.9”. This got me adjusted and with clearance to get the chain cover on. It was a royal PIA to get both tubes on and I would not recommend it. I did one quick run and it seems to work well but I still need the chip breaker (on order from e replacement parts but has not confirmed shipping yet) to get the chips coming out of the dust port instead of just all over.
    -Jeston