Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Millers Falls 714 Buck Rogers Plane rebuild

Millers Falls 714 Buck Rogers Plane rebuild

When I got this plane there was a lot of rust, the lever cap destroyed, paint looked bad. Decided to strip it and then nickel plate the whole bottom. I never liked the grey that M-F used and decided to paint the bottom black instead. The frog was also grey and it got a coat of bright silver. Handles were cleaned up a little, but I might try making some wood ones for better looks and feel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work, Eric.

Looks good. How well does it perform?
    Man, I wouldnt change the knob and tote - they are part of what makes the Buck Rogers so cool looking!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks. It performs nicely. Just don't like the feel of the handles (too plastic and uncomfortable shape for my small hands).

Blog Entries
    Eric, imo yours looks better than the original.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well done! Nothing like returning old tools to their original form.

Thanks Jim. You should see what else I've been working on.

Ray, I've restored it back into usable condition but not technically correct since I didn't use the original colors. As this plane wasn't in good shape to begin with, it was no longer much of a collectable. I therefore felt I could have a little artistic license.

Looks great! How do you advance the iron?
    I guess I should clarify that to how does the iron get advanced by turning the depth adjustment wheel? It seem to be different than a Stanley plane.
    Last edited by Mark Gibney; 04-23-2023 at 11:51 PM.

Yes, it is different. With a Bailey/Stanley adjuster there is a left-handed thread the adjustment wheel turns on and it in turn moves the adjuster. On the M-F Buck Rogers series the thread is right-handed and moves a block that then moves the adjuster. Because mechanically there is an extra step the direction is corrected so that turning clockwise will move the blade inward, just like the Stanley. An advantage of this is that the wheel does not travel on the shaft itself and it keeps dirt out of the mechanism.
    You can see all these parts at the bottom of the second picture. The wheel is large and the adjustment can be done while in use. (I have small hands but can reach the wheel easily unlike the Stanleys).

BEFORE you toss away those Tennite handles....you might ask around...as there are a few people out there that would LOVE to have them for their planes....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I would never toss them but would keep them with the plane. They really are not in good condition with lots of deep scratches and dings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    I would never toss them but would keep them with the plane. They really are not in good condition with lots of deep scratches and dings.
    Keeping them with the plane is a good plan.

Yours may have scratches and dings, someone else may have one or both missing or mangled.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Here’s my rehabbed MF714. Other than a heavily pitted leaver cap, it is in good condition. It sits unused on a trophy shelf..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Here’s my rehabbed MF714. Other than a heavily pitted leaver cap, it is in good condition. It sits unused on a trophy shelf..
    Very nice except for that lever cap. It could be fixed by plating the top with copper, sanding it down and plating some more. Depending on the depth of the pits it will eventually fill up and a final nickel plate could be put on. The Millers Falls marking would not be filled in with plating as long as some paint is filling it. The trick is keeping the back side from also filling in. But it could be done. Much easier to replace with a used one but that might take a while.