Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Lathe

First Lathe

Hello, I am a new member of Sawmill Creek and this is my first forum post. I am looking to buy my first wood lathe and am hoping you will share your thoughts on some options I have found. My interest is in spindle turning for furniture, and, naturally, I am wanting to spend as little as possible initially while I test out the craft.

Vintage machines interest me, but I want to steer clear of things that do not have a #2 morse taper. There are two used machines that caught my attention recently. One is a Delta 46-111 which I can probably get for $200.
    46-111.jpg

The other is a Delta 46-541 with variable speed that I can probably get for $300.
    46-541.jpg

These are not photos of the actual machines for sale, but representative of their models.

I can handle rebuilding the reeves drive on the 46-541 if necessary. I also don’t have reservations about setting up either machine with a 3 phase motor and VFD for variable speed.

The question is, would either of these machines be good for my needs, and/or would one be better than the other?

I thank you for any opinions you can offer.

Either one of those machines will be fine for spindles. As many on here will tell you, they not the first choice for bowls due to swing and not going slow enough. The old reeves drives can be noisy and when worn can cause some vibration. If you're comfortable doing a VFD and three phase motor, those set ups are hard to beat - and you'll be able to dial down the speed if you decide to do bowls. You are wise to want #2MT in the spindle and tailstock. Welcome to the "vortex" that is woodturning !
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"

Find the nearest club and ask. You might get a better lathe. I would not take a Reeves drive lathe, even if it was given to me. I have turned on them a couple of times and the variable speed lathes are far better. Less time fussing around with the machine to dial in making it work like you want it to work. If you are just going to turn spindles, then any 12 inch lathe will work if the bed ls long enough. A 1 hp motor would be ideal. However, even though you may not want to at first, you may get into bowls. For me, I did about 2 spindles, and then went straight to bowls.

robo hippy

Jason, I appreciate the reply. I have read warnings about reeves drives before, and the fact that the first response to my post cautions me about them gives me incentive to believe I should avoid them if possible. If my ultimate plan is to outfit a machine with a 3 phase motor and VFD, then I guess that is another reason to buy something without a reeves drive. I like that the 46-111 gives the option of running the motor belt out of the back as well as the bottom, giving more flexibility in mounting and configuration, while the 46-541 does not.

This is probably as case where I should keep things simple and go for the 46-111. My gut has been telling me this. I just wanted to make sure there was not some seriously compelling reason to go with the 46-541.

Thank you.

Checkout forum at American Association of Woodturners. https://www.aawforum.org/community/ Ask same question. - John

If you expect to turn vessels of any size you will outgrow either of those lathes quickly and it would scarcely be worth retrofitting them with motor/vfd. If you just want to get your feet wet or are more interested in small or spindle work they will serve unmodified as a first lathe. If the Reeves drive on the second lathe works well I would suggest that one for convenience and more speed options (and maybe a bit more mass) but don't waste your time rebuilding it and steer clear if it doesn't run smoothly. I did some work on that model of lathe and it was ok within its limits.

Keep in mind that your investment in tools and accessories will soon out strip the lathe's cost, and if you upgrade you will not want to have to replace chucks and the like to fit a different spindle size. If there is a turning club in your area see if you can get some mentoring, try out different lathes and ask around to see if any members are looking to offload an old one. I have had decent results buying and selling used tools on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, which has a woodturning tool exchange.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 04-23-2023 at 5:07 PM.

All:
    Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I have a couple statements and questions.

I hope this is not blasphemous, but, while I admire other people’s work, I honestly have no interest in turning bowls. Hypothetically, I can see myself maybe wanting to do something larger as an architectural detail, but, even at that, I can’t imagine needing more than a 12” swing. Who knows? You guys have been down the path and probably had your ambitions evolve. Maybe mine will too.

I checked the web for local clubs, and the closest one is over an hour away. With three young kids in athletics and developing their social lives, I can’t afford to spend whole evenings away.

Wanting to keep the cost of entry low, what really are the chances of my scoring a better machine in the $300 range by contacting a club?

The 46-111 comes with some chisels, and the 46-541 with the reeves drive supposedly comes with 21 chisels and some other accessories.

If there is some other machines I should specifically be searching for, let me know. I don’t mind fixing things up. In fact, that is part of the fun for me. I just want to wind up with something that is enjoyable to use and within my budget.

Keep in mind that a 12" swing over the bed means more like 8" over the banjo. Not that restrictive but a consideration. There are many brands of used lathes out there, but $300 isn't much to spend to get a decent one. General 160, Powermatic 45, Oliver, the list goes on. The main things to look for are a solid flat smooth bed, stout headstock, spindle and tailstock that line up, smooth running spindle w/ little runout, a sturdy base, banjo and tailstock that slide easily and lock down solidly, solid motor w/ safe wiring and convenient controls and reasonably easy speed changes. Either of the units you are looking at will probably do what you want within your budget assuming they are in good working order. The Reeves drive is more convenient but potentially problematic. Some Reeves drives were better than others and I don't know specifically about the Delta. You might could get a read on that at owwm.org My old General's drive was fine with an occasional shot of grease.

As stated, the cost of the lathe is a small fraction of the money spent. If chisels are included, that could save you some money depending on the quality. A lot of included chisels are garbage and you’d be better off spending a couple hundred dollars to get 3-4 high quality chisels (for spindle turning I’d recommend a good skew, parting tool and spindle gouge bare minimum….I use my spindle roughing gouge a ton for spindle work but a skew can do the job too). Sharpening tool (slow speed grinder and wheels, jigs such as Oneway Wolverine system for the spindle gouge, etc.). A chuck is extremely useful for both spindle and bowl turning, which will cost $100-200. PPE is a must and includes a faceshield and lung protection (mask/respirator, dust collection). Other miscellaneous items can add up too (calipers, finishes, etc.).

I’m not posting this to discourage you, only to let you know what to expect if you are totally new to the hobby like I was. Many people here refer to woodturning as the “vortex” because you get sucked in and it consumes your thoughts, time, and spending money. That has certainly been the case for me, who started with a free Harbor Freight mini lathe to make ornaments from fallen branches…..I got sucked in and wanted a better lathe so quickly bought a used mini Jet for $300 then more and more wanted larger capacity and then I bought a Laguna 2436. I enjoy turning everything from small spindles to hollow forms and bowls. I am still fairly inexperienced but have dropped a lot of money on tools, jigs, equipment, safety, books, etc. But I get a huge amount of enjoyment and pleasure from woodturning and have no regrets.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I’ve found this forum extremely helpful in addition to certain YouTube videos (Brian havens is great at explaining tool use for beginners in addition to others). Joining a local club was extremely helpful for me, though I didn’t join for a couple years as I’m in a similar situation as you (young kids, busy job and little time), but since then it has become more of a priority and has been extremely helpful, especially at the beginning.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Chris David View Post
    Hello, I am a new member of Sawmill Creek and this is my first forum post. I am looking to buy my first wood lathe and am hoping you will share your thoughts on some options I have found. My interest is in spindle turning for furniture, and, naturally, I am wanting to spend as little as possible initially while I test out the craft.
    Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

There exists a retired barrister, first name, John, surname, Keeton. He dared drop into the dungeon to make a very similar statement and did buy his first lathe. IIRC he did turn a few spindles for furniture but that wasn't what got him fame in the turning world! Be wary! Be very wary! LOL!

I am afraid I don't have any knowledge about the two lathes you describe, so I can't be much help there.

Welcome to the world of spin!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-24-2023 at 3:06 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

All:

I understand what you are saying about turning involving much more equipment than just the lathe. That is why I need to be conservative on the cost of the lathe itself for now.

Truth is, I have been swirling in the vortex of woodworking since I was a kid, and accumulated more equipment than a non-professional should have. Now I think I need a lathe too!

I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos about spindle turning, and am really impressed by the people who can do almost anything with just a skew, I don’t intend on going crazy with all kinds of knives, but would rather have a few quality tools as cheap stuff would probably make things harder and cause frustration. I have been looking at the WEN sharpening system to get started as it looks to be reasonably functional for the price.

Chris,

I hope you understand I was just ribbing you! I was given my first lathe, a Jet Mini, tools and wood by the idiots here. I didn't put up the several hundreds of dollars worth of lighting I had for a couple years while I learned to turn. Then I bought a PM-3520 B, a bandsaw, and Oneida DC. I stopped turning long enough to finish the shop. Turning in the woodworking world is the closest thing to instant gratification, IMHO.

Enjoy the process!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Don't worry, Ken. I totally understood your intent. The funny thing is that I know damn well where this road leads. I have to pretend otherwise for now or I won't get started.

I helped a friend get started turning. He found an old delta lathe, made it work. Turned out a bunch of stuff that his wife liked so when he suggested that he needed a bigger, better lathe she insisted he get one right away - and get this- made him buy himself a new bandsaw too. Maybe Chris you will luck out too!

Bernie,

My wife was pleasantly surprised about my new interest in spindle turning, so I am off to a good start!