Thread: Help me identify this ornately carved piece

Blog Entries

Help me identify this ornately carved piece

I stumbled upon a treasure trove of antiques. One piece has me baffled. I would say late 1800’s gothic revival, but I have seen Indonesian carvings that mimick this style. Things to note: drawers and back appear to be cedar. They may be pine, but the smell suggests cedar. The fronts are maybe fruitwood, but appear to have a tropical grain. The color really does not match aged mahogany. There are buildings in the background of the carvings that appear to me to be French. The wood looks much like fruitwoods that I have seen in a lot of French pieces. The carvings, however, have some English influence with the “green man” in the doors, but really that is a staple in wood carving.

So, what do you think? It’s really cool, and a little gaudy. I want it for my home, which I will describe as “filled with antiques both tasteful and unusual.” I would rather, however, sell it, as I really need to make money more than spend it.

Thoughts?

6EA3B198-BF3D-45EC-A128-E560778B0A25.jpg F06E0E6F-2DF4-448B-A108-C6B7BC0901BE.jpg 80B4C458-5BFC-47DF-8831-E028380021DE.jpg 1F8699E6-7305-48CA-AEDD-43B48D205B0B.jpg 934FB601-3333-43C8-83D7-C7027241CFBD.jpg

Blog Entries
    Sorry, this was in a dark building, and photos aren’t the greatest. Here is a shot that sort of shows (upper right) the buildings in the background which to me look like French country.

43107D61-8B3E-45BC-8412-D0AF2C4C66E4.jpg

I think that is Shakespeare’s face and the carving style is that of Grinling Gibbons. How old the thing is I can’t say without a thorough
    examination in my laboratory- living room. Will take about 2 years ,but it will have papers ….personally signed by me !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I think that is Shakespeare’s face and the carving style is that of Grinling Gibbons. How old the thing is I can’t say without a thorough
    examination in my laboratory- living room. Will take about 2 years ,but it will have papers ….personally signed by me !
    That’s better than papers signed by the dog!

It turns out the guy has a matching side table. The thing is just kinda of creepy and I really am more interested in it because it’s so ornate and I think it would resell well, but the guy showed me another piece that I like better for myself.

Yes, it does look like Shakespeare- the weird thing is it has boobs, and it has literally some cherries hanging in a very strategic place. Really kind of odd. I do literally mean carved cherries- but I’m sure you understand that they were strategically placed. I think if not for the man with boobs and “cherries,” I might be more interested in it.

This is in an old building full of so much cool stuff, including a BMW R60/6 that sadly has front end damage beyond what I have time to repair. It was like opening a time capsule going in this place.

I think Shakespeares head is on a Griffins body. Looked for Griffin symbolism ,and such…..but did not find much. ( good rhyme though!)

Maybe they are well-defined pectoral muscles? I too have seen some well-defined Indonesian carvings from the earl 2000's that have a similar style. Whatever this piece is, it is so fascinating to look at all the intricate detail and know that someone carved that by hand. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the side table and the other piece you may keep for yourself.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    Maybe they are well-defined pectoral muscles? I too have seen some well-defined Indonesian carvings from the earl 2000's that have a similar style. Whatever this piece is, it is so fascinating to look at all the intricate detail and know that someone carved that by hand. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the side table and the other piece you may keep for yourself.
    The other piece 3A94F326-ADD8-4C01-922E-15EA94AA15F9.jpg

The one I may keep
    C55EAF2A-8C88-4E92-AEEB-35B2E3739F97.jpg

edit: sorry, the rotation bug got me. You’ll have to turn your head sideways.
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 04-24-2023 at 9:11 PM.

Any hidden drawers?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Any hidden drawers?
    No, and I was surprised, as the way the sides looked, there was room for one, but it was actually just a big hollow inside. I have restored a lot of pieces that had very cleverly hidden drawers, and even the owner of the piece didn't know they were there. I have found old letters inside hidden drawers before. If I get this piece, I will still look all around, because whimsical pieces like this are good candidates for hidden drawers. The lions' heads do open up, but I didn't feel so much that it was "hidden" because to me it was obvious that it was a drawer, although to the layperson it probably would have been less obvious.