Thread: Powermatic 3520B Tail Stock binding

Powermatic 3520B Tail Stock binding

Recently the tail stock on my 17 yr old 3520B has been getting more difficult to crank. I took it apart and cleaned it all up. The lead screw shows signs of wear, but I lubed it up and reassembled. I find that things are still not as smooth as should be. I think I will order a new lead screw ($50) but hoping I don't need a new quill ($260). It seems the steel in the quill is much harder than the lead screw.

I appreciate any wisdom out there.

Are you doing a lot of drilling with a forstner bit? If so, they put a lot of torque on the quill and you can raise a burr on the groove where the set screw and lock screw run. Mike Peace has an excellent YouTube video about tailstock maintenance. He discusses the burr at about the four minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfCuTB32RQ8
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"

Thanks Jason! The Mike Peace video was very helpful!!!

It’s hard to believe but the quill can become bent. I know I did it to mine and had to buy a new one, after I tried every trick to make sure it was a bent quill and not a bur or other obstruction. Hope you have better luck.